Internal Job Postings

Can someone enlighten me on the pros and cons of posting job opportunities internally? We currently do not do this, although every now and then an employee will learn of an opportunity in another department (or even another office) and ask to transfer into that job.

We don't have a policy either way on this matter, so I'd like to hear what works/what doesn't work. Do you post internally first and then post externally? Wouldn't employees be afraid to interview for another job, as it would alert their supervisor that they're not happy?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The company that I work for does post internally for 1 week. We feel that an internal candidate should get first dibs on an open position vs. an outside applicant. As far as the employee being afraid to apply to another department...that is a president that you will have to set with-in the company. You will need to teach/tell your managers/supervisors policy on interal candidates, letting them know that it is a positive thing, not neg and that the candidate should feel free to apply for another position without consequence. Some companies do have a waiting peroid before an ee can apply for another department. You could have a very good employee that isn't enjoying thier current position but would like to stay with the company, you are giving another option to the ee by doing an interal posting. Hope that this is somewhat helpful...

Kari

P.S. sorry for any bad spelling #-o
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-07-03 AT 02:05PM (CST)[/font][p]What you have now is the secret promotion system, the downsides to which are irritated employees (it's a bummer to see someone else get a job which one might have been interested in, if only they knew about it), there is no reason to have internal development programs (helps morale and retention) and it creates problems when enforcement agencies come looking and find out that you don't have procedures to help employees promote within the company. In this area, if you are required to have an Affirmative Action Plan and get audited, by the time that the visit is over, you will have internal promotion procedures as part of the concilitation agreement. I can't think of any benefits to the secret promotion system.

We post our jobs on our internal e-mail and website and do so concurrently with outside recruiting. Some organizations wait for a time before going outside. Our employees apply in HR. Some organizations require that the employee tell their supervisor first. I wouldn't worry about what your supervisors think. If employees want to advance their career and opportunities are not available internally, they will go somewhere else to get ahead.
  • I post the job internally when I place the ad in the newspaper. When a current employee expresses interest in the open position that information remains between the employee and me until we mutually agree that his/her supervisor should know. I don't want a supervisor to know the employee has applied for the position right away, in case the employee does not get the open position. So far the supervisors that have had the openings have been very understanding about not disclosing the information to other supervisors.
  • In a past life I designed such a system and it worked great. One of the rules was that anyone could feel free to respond to the internal announcement without fear of their supervisor being notified. Only at the time an interview was on the horizon was the applicant's vice president notified. All agreed to those ground rules and respected them. There are so many positives to developing this sort of system that I don't know where to begin. Go for it.
  • We post all but the highest level positions internally concurrently with outside ads. It is a part of our affirmative action program.

Employees must be in their current position for at least one year. We do not notify the curent supervisor, but sometimes, the internal candidate tells them. That has created problems when the supervisor tries to discourage the employee to change jobs to the point of threatening them or implying they will not be treated as well "over there".

The postings are left up for one week. Candidates are interviewed just as if they were outside applicants. We choose the best qualified, whether it be someone internally or externally.

An interesting observation, when we did not postings, I heard no complaints. When we started posting a few jobs ocassionally I heard a few complaints. When we started posting virtually everything, then there were more complaints. It seemed the more we gave the employees, the more the found fault.

Overall, it has been a good idea. We have been able to move people internally providing a clear career path for our deserving employees.
  • Don D,

What's with the secrecy from the internal applicant's current manager? Seems like that assumes the current manager will behave poorly or hold it against the employee trying to advance his/her career. I tell the employee's manager, and they always understand the person is just trying to advance. After all, the manager obviously looked for better opportunities or they would have never become a manager.

Shawn
  • We are a credit union and they are known for promoting from within. Most of our management and officers started out as tellers or service reps., so it is expected and shown as a good thing when a manager has mentored an employee to make them a valuable asset to the company. We usually give the employees about a week to submit an internal application and then interview candidates that qualify. Then we look outside if we can't find an internal fit. This has worked really well for us and the employees love the fact that they have a chance to grow beyond their present positions. I agree that it is about how you present the culture at work. Talk to management and help them to see that they should be flattered and encouraged that they had a hand in shaping employees who are able to broaden their horizons.
  • Bravo Trinity!! xclap

This is how we handle it. It also gives the present supervisor the chance to either 'tell of a current performance issue' or 'sing the praises of' their employees. There is no greater kudos for a manager than knowing they've helped someone grow within the company! It's the biggest compliment one can get as a manager when an employee says, 'I want to do what you do', or, 'I want your job'. Some people will see it as an insult, but I always see it as a positive...it gives that manager a chance to grow knowing someone could fill their shoes.