Company Policies in a Union Setting

I work in a unionized manufacturing facility and have worked in a couple before but have never run into this situation to this extent...

I know that we, the employer, should discuss changes to or implementations of company policy with the union committee prior to implementation but my thought is that if the policy pertains to the safety of the employee, that we should not have to discuss it.

Here's an example - we have employees whose machines run on automatic to produce parts. Once the machine is set up, all the employee basically has to do is check the parts periodically and keep an eye on the machine to make sure it continues to run correctly. In the past these employees were allowed to read books or magazines as long as they continued to do their checks and watch the machines. As with anything like this, the reading got out of hand and employees began "kicking back" with their feet up, lounging, etc. and the quality went down, production rates dropped, etc. We decided to put up a notice that informed employees that this practice was no longer being allowed and continued defiance may result in disciplinary action.

I have just been informed by a member of the committee that they "let the policy change slide" because nobody has been disciplined but now that a supervisor is requiring that employees remove any personal magazines, etc. from their workstations, there is a problem.

Can anyone enlighten me on what my responsibilites are as the employer regarding notifying union committee of changes or new policies? Do we have to go through them for EVERYTHING?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Linda a couple of things, I am a few years removed from the union environment (YEAH) so I can't recall all of the issues regarding policy setting. I do remember every contract should have the phrase about the company will manage/run their business.
    As for the safety issue I remember it well, and yes with employee safety or OSHA compliance the union cannot disagree or fight you, BUT, they can disagree or fight the way you implement the change/policy etc.
    As for the example you provided, that is a productivity issue and had not safety issue that I saw.
    Remember you do not have motivated hard working folks looking to do more in a typical environment, you have just the opposite, looking to do as little as possible to get by.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Had a similar situation years. Since there was nothing contradictory in the contract, we set minimum standards. We felt the standards were reasonable. When the union objected, we told them that we would be happy to go arbitration and meant it. Never went to arbitration and actually we have twice increased the minimum standards due higher productivity by the employees.