Our managers won't listen!

Our managers hire their own part-time employees and are responsible for submitting the paperwork to HR. Sometimes it takes them several months to turn in the paperwork (for people who work just a few hours a month). We have told them many times that they have to do it, but they don't change their ways. Typically they will listen if they think it effects them in some way. Does anyone have ideas for how I can "scare" them into doing it?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Have that be part of their performance evaluation - and since their performance would not be where you expect it to be, perhaps they don't get their full raise (or maybe no raise).

Also, does the "paperwork" that you reference including W-2s? Are these new employees going weeks or months without a check? It seems there could be some liability there as most states require payment within a certain period of time following the end of a pay period.

Ultimately, however, perhaps you need to treat it as a disciplinary issue. The managers have been asked/told/trained to turn the paperwork in, and they don't. I say, follow your disciplinary process as you would for any other staff who are not performing their job tasks appropriately. Perhaps a few written warnings, followed if necessary by a disciplinary probation status or suspension will get the message across.

• Would also recommend reviewing their job descriptions to make sure they're aware that this is part of managing a team. The other two things I would recommend is talking to your CEO or President and enlisting their support. In training what we have found to work best is to let the managers know we'll track their attendance and submit it to their manager at the end of the year to be included in their performance evaluation.

For anything dealing with the legal side of managing, we require our managers to attend this once a year. Giving case studies and listing those companies and instances where a manager is held personally liable tend to capture their attention.
  • Don't forget about the I-9. Even if you don't pay them for several weeks, you have to have the I-9 in place within 3 days. Your state may also have a payday law that requires payment at least once a month or more.
  • The bottom line in these sorts of circumstances is that nothing will change unless there is some way to tie compliance to their pocketbook or job retention, which is redundant, isn't it?
  • I would like to add a "section" into our Manager/Supervisory performance review regarding "Adherance to HR Policies/Practices". Many of them neglect to follow up on performance problems, document disciplinary actions, etc. (Even just getting documentation put thru in a timely manner!) Our current performance review does not really make them accountable for any of these issues, and I would like to change that. I figure that some of you would hopefully have some words of wisdom and maybe some suggestions on wording?
  • Good idea - but make it all paperwork, not HR, and have your CEO say he/she wants it done. Having HR as an evaluation factor may get compliance but it won't help with the relationships that you need to have with your managers.
  • I've found that the larger problem is that the CEO often does not fully support HR or realize its value in the first place, which trickles down and enforces the concept that supervisors and managers don't really have to pay attention to Catbert and his friends. For this reason, I think making a run at a statement in the policy with the CEO's support will be perhaps self-defeating. If he were a strong advocate of such practices in the first place, you wouldn't be in this fix. Nor would the others of us who have had similar situations.
  • Absolutely true! My general manager has no idea what I do (sometimes I don't) and overall considers me a nuisance. Yet somewhere in the far reaches of his business sensibilities he realizes that I serve some purpose and occasionally I am useful. But when I start talking FMLA,ADA,EEOC,OSHA,COBRA etc. he finds something else he has to do.
  • Absolutely true, so how does this person get the managers to follow policy when the CEO has probably already demonstrated that he/she doesn't give a rip. The managers will follow that line of thinking.
  • HR in WA: Your post has the ring of a young HR asset headed off on a wrong responsibility path. I have been there, done that, and finally came to a clear understanding of the HR's position in the mix of an organization! Your is issue is not "managers will not follow" it is "managers are not leaders". Your role and situation is one of "police" of personnel actions!

You need GM/President/CEO leadership in this case; with the assistance of the CFO (just in case there are bonus penalities available for use by the senior leader) and the most senior leader of the organization. A powerful letter/memo to the leader positions that says:

"For to long the HR function within our company has been allowed to act as a policeman of your responsibility and accountabilities of your team members and their personal concerns! From this point on you will take care of your employee assets for all personnel actions. Should you fail to insure that a team member gets the pay and benefits entitled to our employees from day #1 you will be challanged to answer to the employee and the legal systems as to why you failed to support your employee! Human Resources will sent all inquiries to your attention for an immediate response, and you will then bring your written prepared response to me; I will insure your employee is taken care of promptly. I will ask HR to assist me in this effort. You will also be allowed to sit with me and our attorney to prepare the company's response on "our failure" to accomplish our responsibilities. Leaders will remain in positions of power and responsibility, we must understand when we fail to exercise the authority delegated to us, then the company has failed and are righly accountable for our failures.

I will not be caught failing; I have zero tolerance for management inability to earn the compensation paid to them for handling all duties in an outstanding manner!"

May you have a nice and blessed day! Please contact me for personal discussions on this matter, should you have a need; otherwise, I consider this situation resolved.

For HR: please feel comfortable in assisting our managers in the activity of employee care and attention.

Signed President Pork
  • President Pork: Was I out of the room when you held this election? I fear that rather than stuffing the pork chops, you have stuffed the ballot box. Fondly, Don D.