application notes

I'm having a minor disagreement with fellow HR staff member about applications and notes.

Fellow HR person believes we need to make a note on each application (separate page) detailing items like, incomplete application, doesn't meet minimum qualifications, unsolicited, etc. to cover our A_ _ in case we are audited by the DOL (on all applications we accept/solicite for).

I disagree and think that the above mentioned info could actually be used against us if the auditor found fault or disagreed with assessment notes. In addition to the fact that there are a lot of applicants for each posted position.

What do you do?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I once worked with an HR person who said, "It is illegal to write anything on a person's application". Of course we know that was untrue. I don't think any of the notes you mention would point up any concern with protected groups, as such. Some of us can remember applications with margin notes such as 'overweight', sloppy, slouched, unshaven, poor eye contact, missing tooth, no ride to work, behind in rent, etc. I guess my gut on this one is that I wouldn't make the notes on the application form unless it was rejected out of hand and then I might note; incomplete, application period expired, or does not meet minimum requirements as stated in ad. I would draw a firm line in the sand, however, on anybody outside a tight HR group making any sort of notes on the form, period! I'm sure though that our Forum attorneys will want to weigh in on this important issue.
  • Well I was lucky enough to interview over 300+ folks for a new plant a former company of mine started up. We used 4x6 sticky notes and put them on the file as that way the veteran HR staff informed me you can throw them away once decisions were made and you eliminated that whole notes on the paperwork issue. I am not saying this is right or wrong, just putting it out there.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
    (Performing this weekend!)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-05-03 AT 08:43AM (CST)[/font][p]I use little "Status" notes that I staple on to my resumes. They just include if they meet the minimum requirements of the job and if they are considered to be a qualified candidate. For example if you need a BS in Biochemistry and only have a HS diploma, you don't meet the minimum requirements. I also list the dates that I called the candidate. If they don't return my calls after 3 attempts of contacting them, I assume that they are no longer interested in the position. A also note the date they tell me that there are no interested and the reason (commute, salary requirements, found another position etc.).

I also created an applicant database so that I can track applicants.

LFernandes
  • Here's a note from one of the attorneys who write Oregon Employment Law Letter. Hope it helps. tk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pecohr,
    I generally agree with Don D.'s post. Making notes on the application is
    not the problem; it's making the "wrong" notes on the application that could
    give rise to problems.

David Symes
    Perkins Coie LLP
    1211 S.W. Fifth Ave., Ste. 1500
    Portland, OR 97204-3715
    phone (503) 727-2000

• When I have a job opening, I usually interview quite a few applicants. By the end of the day, they all start running together so I have to take notes. But, I put them on a post-it note and stick that on the application.

Also, I log all applications that I have received into a data base. As I log them in, I insert the notes that I made on each one. Then I discard the post-it note. The data base makes it so easy to go back, at a later date, and see if there were any candidates that might be called in for another opening that might develop.
  • more info...

what about the applications from people you have no intention of interviewing based on; no match to job requirements or unsolicited resumes from the people who only read enough of the ad to get company name and address. Is there any requirement to make some sort of notation (on separate document/form/post it note of course) vs just keeping a copy of the ad and job requirement to compare against.

Thanks,
    Stuart
  • I interview everyone that fills out an application. They may not fit the bill for the current opening but maybe something down the line will pop up.

Unsolicited resumes are filed in the circular file.
  • I would love to say that I also talk to all but we got 300 people recently filling out applications for (1) position and I had to focus on most realistic candidates.

I appreciate everyone input and learn something for all of you!

Stuart
  • We frequently have several people interview one candidate. I usually conduct the initial interview with the hiring manager/supervisor also interviewing. I have an interview assessment sheet that I complete and pass on the the manager/supervisor with my comments. In this way, I don't get resumes back with things like "has 2 children" "daycare issues" "had cancer last year". Again, it's not that you have written on the resume, but what you have written.

The hiring "team" gets together after the interview and discusses the appropriateness of the individual for the position.

• Peco: Don't make the mistake of classifying as 'unsolicited' those resumes that don't appear to match the ad's requirements. They are in fact, solicited, if you receive them in response to an ad, whether qualified or not. Just a split hair. In this state, and many others, the employer does not have a retention requirement for resumes that are clearly unsolicited if their policy is to not accept them. This can keep you from having to track thousands of resumes. Just be sure the policy is followed consistently, not willy-nilly.