Alcohol at Company related events

I have done research on this topic and have learned that the results of the employer's liability are state specific. I have two questions still - what are other employers doing regarding employees or supervisors posting flyers in a break room inviting others to join them in a happy hour...is this okay as long as the company is not paying for any of it? Second, what do other employers feel is their liability if their sales people take clients out for dinner, pay for it and the client drives home after having several drinks and gets in an accident? Any insight on these topics would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Jayhawk,
    We recently went away from alcohol at company functions. We also discourage the supervior/foreman from inviting/having the happy hour event to avoid an employee from saying they felt like they had to go to be "part of the group".

As for part two of your question, you would have some liability if you were to get the client intoxicated. Though always possible to mitigate and try to blame the place that served the alcohol. The landscape has changed significantly over the last few years in this area. The days of the keg at the company picnic and employees drinking to much should be/ are gone.

Hey Jayhawk we are neighbors, Blue Springs here!
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I don't know about your sales staff paying for dinner and drinks prior to an accident. I do think that it is very unwise, from a number of standpoints, for your staff to post happy-hour invitations on company property. Can that idea. Besides appearing to be company sponsored, it just makes no sense. It's personal and should be handled on that level. Just my thoughts.
  • I agree with Don regarding the postings. Our company policy states that all postings must be approved through management prior to going up. If a posting is found on the boards that has not received approval, it is removed. Your supervisors should be instructed that this is not something they should be engaging in.
  • At our company all employee postings on the bulletin board must be approved through HR - the rules are posted on the board for all to see. I would not approve an open invitation to a happy hour because of the potential liability due to assumed company approval. One further consideration, all employee postings should be only by approval. If not, then union organizers may have equal access.