Red Vests For Probationary Employees

I appologize if this is a duplication but it concerns me if I am being discriminatory or causing a new employee to feel inferior if I require all production probationary workers to wear a red vest. My reason for requiring a red vest is to alert the more seasoned workers of the need to impart safety practices to the new worker during his/her probationary period.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You're not being illegally discriminatory -- unless you're using it to identify Title VII, ADA and ADEA "protected status" employees -- but you may be causing some morale issues for th eprobatoiners.

Being constantly singled out as the new person I think can lead to some sense of inferiority, harassment, etc. I understand what you are tyring to do, and in a way it makes sense, but make sure that your intent isn't undermined by the negatives something like that can cause.
  • I like the idea "identify people who are new and need support" but the red vest thing might be a bit much. How about a small lapel button?

I can just imagine the jokes about "redcoats", "red and need to be led", and so on...

Almost no one enjoys being singled out or looking different. I think you might accomplish your worthy goal with less repercussions by being a bit more discrete.

Paul
  • Thank you for your suggestion, I will be instituting a "safety button".
  • How long is your probationary period? I can understand your intent but if it causes problems then what's wrong with going to a ribbon or pin? Unless there are safety issues of such items?
  • Keep in mind, it is intimidating enough just being a new employee. Anything that adds discomfort could be counterproductive. I like the lapel pin idea.

We give new hires titles like Manufacturing Trainee or Junior Procurement Agent. The adder of "trainee" or "junior" is at time perceived as demeaning and creates morale problems for us. Being an electronics manufacturer, we have to wear special ESD jackets. We thought about buying a different color for the newbies, but quickly dismissed the idea. Too expensive and distracting.
  • Thanks for your input, I like the button suggestion.
  • Thank you for your input, I like the button idea. Our probationary period is 90 calendar days and wearing a button would not pose a safety concern.
  • But do you think a button will be seen from across the room by the more seasoned employees? If I understood your post, the point is for new people to be easily identified for the purposes of safety. If that's so, it seems that the safety issue should be of primary concern over the "feelings" of new employees who may not care to be identified as new employees.
  • I may be way off base here, but I prefer that safety practices are imparted by training. I would be concerned that there may be different messages coming across from individual employees.
  • Training is one thing but retention is another. The button would be worn by a beginner during the time the trainers were not available but the side-by-side workers would be.
  • We are a production facility in a high injury industry (glass fabrication) so our probationary employees must be high visibility for safety purposes. We purchased red hard hats for the <90 day bunch - when they pass the probationary period they are awarded their choice of NFL team hat or a company logo hat. We make a big deal out of our ee's learning the ropes and making the 90 day mark. But then again, we are in a high turnover area as well, so keeping them for 90 days is as big a deal for us as we make it for them. x:-8

Tammy