all this over a pen

Yesterday,Manager A was walking around with a pen that lit up. Jokingly, Manager B took the pen. It was returned immediately. Several hours later, Manager A noticed the pen was missing. He accused Manager B of stealing it. Manager B denied it. Manager A then went in Manager B's department and asked the people who work under Manager B if anyone had seen Manager B with the pen. No one had. So Manager A over the course of last night called Manager B's office phone and left 10 messages accusing Manager B of being a thief. This morning after he arrived, Manager A left an apology on Manager B's phone that was bizarre. Manager B is still miffed. Manager A has never exhibited behavior like this. I am at a loss as to how to handle this situation.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sounds to me like Manager A found the pen or it was returned to him, thus the apology. Manager B should just be big enough to let it go since Manager A did apologize. There are bigger fish to fry. Hope Manager A's apology included apologizing for acting like an idiot!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-28-03 AT 01:06PM (CST)[/font][p]If it were my sons, a good trip behind the woodshed would be in order. However, I would recommend that you or your company's designated "conflict resolution" person have a chat with both parties. Hope that one of these two is not your mediator!!!!
  • What type of company hires children and then promotes them to managers! I would guess manager B took it again as a joke, then A got a little to upset and ruined the fun.
    Either way, they should both get over it.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman

Ps. I admit it I stole the juggling balls! I needed to get that off my chest for two years x:-)
  • Thanks for the reply. I think both managers will get over it (certainly A did with the apology). However, I am wondering how concerned I should be by Manager A's rather unusual reaction to a missing pen (which was found on the floor of the closet in his office). His apology was for the false accusation only and not for the other behavior exhibited. I am positive that he is not aware how childish he was.
  • If this were my organization, I would advise Mr. A's boss to do what we call a "record of conference." The boss talks with A informally about the fact that he seemed to have a meltdown over a relatively small matter, gets A's perspective on the incident, and lets him know that his behavior was unacceptable and can't be repeated. Then Boss writes a summary of this conference and gets A. to sign an acknowledgement that he received a copy of it.

If it never happens again, great; but if this is the first in a series of nutty behavior incidents, then next time you'll have the back-up to take more serious disciplinary action.

Folks, sometimes the inmates really are running the asylum.
  • That's a good idea. Manager A's conduct was improper. If he believed that Manager B was involved in something wrong, he should have followed proper channels to resolve the issue. What kind of trouble would Manager A cause if he felt that something unjust was happening in the workplace? Would he follow proper channels, or would he take it on himself to stir up trouble?
  • I missed the name of this day care center. Was it hidden in the script?
  • Careful Don, if you are not nice I will take my ball and go home!
    DJ
  • I think this is what some call a "teachable moment". I would take this opportunity to have a discussion with Manager A regarding his behavior point by point.

I guess I wouldn't dismiss this or take it too lightly. Remember the two countries that were at war in Gulliver's Travels over which end of the egg was the proper end to eat first.

The fiercest battles are waged over the most insignificant of things. Its all very silly but there are some disturbing and serious issues just below the surface.

Paul