Love affair

If you have two employees from two different departments having an affair, and you as the HR person are aware of the affair, would you notify the supervisors?

My opinion is that they don't need to be notified. If performance problems arise due to the affair, then those issues would need to be addressed. My concern is if they are made aware of the situation that may influence how they treat that individual. It could make it difficult for them to be objective.

What do you think?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do these people report to each other in any form or fashion? If not, I think you're right. No one needs to know.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Thanks for the quick response. There is no reporting relationship between the two individuals.
  • If one doesn't report to the other one,then leave it alone unless it causes some type of issue in the workplace. We have a non-fraternization policy that prohibits supervisors or physicians from being romantically involved with anyone they supervise. We put the onus on the supervisor to advise management if a relationship exists.

We have all types of relationships going on in our facility from the sublime to the ridiculous. We have only had one between two people, one of whom was married to someone else that caused issues in the workplace. The female was very confrontational to the male when he wanted to break it off and both of them scuffled in the parking lot in front of other employees which was reported to me. She also cried on her co-workers shoulders, which some of them encouraged. Some got sick of listening to the "poor me" scenario and asked me to talk with her. This was addressed purely from the performance issue standpoint and interferring with the workplace. I simply advised her that she needed to keep her private life private and quit giving her co-workers episodes of a soap opera to pass around to others. I had to talk with her twice about this and ended up sending her to our EAP for counseling. For a couple of months now, I haven't heard anything, but both parties are still here. The worst thing is this relationship resulted in a child, so I am sure that this issue is far from over.
  • Frenchie, Look at a similiar post a couple of days ago titled "LOVE CONTRACTS". I think you will find your feelings are shared by others.