Language in the Workplace

Does anyone know if a manager can request that all employees speak one language (English) in the workplace? Are there any potential issues from a discrimination standpoint? The jobs do not require that they speak one language or another, but the issue is that if they are speaking anything other than English, it is not known if;

1) They might not understand an aspect of their job and are asking someone who speaks the same language about an issue...the supervisor then wouldn't know if they need additional training.
2) They are speaking about something personal, gossiping, etc. on company time.

What are your thoughts? Anyplace where I can do research on my own?

As always, any comments would be helpful, Thank-you.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • HS,
    You've hit on a hot topic that many of our state employment law letters are writing about because the EEOC recently issued some new guidance on national origin discrimination and related language, accent, and harassment issues. Here's how to research the topic on this website:

If you are a newsletter subscriber and have access to the searchable database, log into the system and click on the "HR Search Engine." Then, on the next page, type in that you want to view all the articles that mention "English-only." In the second available slot, tell the database that you want to see the articles that also include "EEOC guidance." Scroll down a little more and click on "All states" (so you'll see the newsletter articles from attorneys across the country who wrote about this topic, and not just your home state).

Then, when you click "display results," you should see links to a screenful of different articles on the EEOC's new guidance -- from February 2003 newsletter issues alone. Can't get much more current than that! Call or e-mail me if you have any problems or questions. Hope this helps.

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
    (615) 661-0249 ext. 8068
  • If you are a newsletter subscriber and have access to the searchable
    >database, log into the system and click on the "HR Search Engine."

Tony,

Unfortunately we are not a subscriber. I can't seem to convince anyone of the worthiness of this site and the information therein. Thank-you for the suggestion though, it is much appreciated. If I can't get any answers elsewhere, I will send you an e-mail or call you.

• This is the very topic that led me to this forum so many months ago after I did a google search on it. I had an english speaking ee complaining that the tv in the breakroom was being put on Spanish stations too often and felt that it was violating her civil rights because she couldn't watch anything that she could understand. It still brings a smile to my face when I think about it.

This site has a ton of useful information that will help you find what you need, there are laws regarding english only policies. I would seek legal council before you decide to implement such policies. Good luck.
  • BIG QUESTION, IS ENGLISH THE LANGUAGE OF CHOICE FOR SAFETY CONCERNS?
    Given that you have a safety reason to require the English language in the work place, then management has the opportunity to require the team to learn a foreign lanuage, Let's see why don't we choose "Spanish" or "Angolian" or "French-Canadian".

We in the Swine world require one language and it is OINK-OINK, English is not understood by the most important animal in our working world, so we all learn their language. You would be surprised how our human senses can hear a "cough" and know a baby pig is sick, or the "squeal" when one has been sat upon by the MOM.

We have Hondurians, Mexicans, Southerners, Yankees, African-Americans, Columbian workers, and we do not make the language barrior an issue. We put 10 words matched by 10 Hispanic words and any "slang word that relates" on the office bulletin board and we attempt to learn these terms that represent something in the office. The team of 9 have learned to make do and draw pictures when it is necessary or we bring in a language speaker when safety issues are communicated.

It works, don't let HR get hung up in some office communication problem. If you are placed into the fray then hire an instructor and require the "Ugly American" to learn the necesary words to communicate with our "foreign language significat others" by stepping forward and learning something new and challenging.

MY thoughts, and I am a southern boy who has learned a little of several languages, but speak none as a English Man! Pork
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-26-03 AT 04:21PM (CST)[/font][p]Pork is correct! Managers, and sometimes we HR people, worry about this issue a bit too much. Your supervisors need to learn a little bit of whatever the language is so that they can talk to the employees, as do the HR employees. A little Spanish or whatever the language is on the part of the supervisor or HR will create a much better relationship with the employees - a world of difference. What you are experiencing is no different that if we on the forum woke up one day to find ourselves in a factory in the middle of Russia. The supervisors would be saying - can we make them speak only Russian - and we would be speaking English about home, kids, church, sports etc. etc. etc. This is what is going on at your place in Spanish or whatever the languages are. Longer term you need to promote someone into a lead role or supervision who can communicate in the language.

Some states have regulations in this area, so you should check that out.

Saludos
  • What a wonderful opportunity you have been given to have a little diversity training at your company. We did this about five years ago because of similar concerns and the experience was awesome, and not expensive. The important piece is to not be heavy-handed but allow the employees to explore the ways in which people differ (don't restrict it to just language or race, but include age, ethnicity, outlooks because of upbringing, etc.). It must be non-threatening and there are so many many training films you can use, especially on on the use of differing languages, etc.

Companies may require use of one language for work but how can you require (via policy) employees not to use a language at the lunch table or on the way out of the building? It is much better to have employees appreciate their differences as they learn how very much they are alike.

• In California organizations cannot require a particular language to be used unless there is a business necessity for doing so. Further, employees must be notified of the circumstances and time when the language restriction must be observed and the consequences for violating it.
  • Thank-you all for responding. This is not a safety issue Pork...and I agree with you Gillian in that the supervisor should learn the language enough to get by and communicate if need be with the employees.