Ergonomic workstation policy?

We currently provide ergonomic workstation solutions for folks who provide a letter from their medical practitioner which cites the need for one and what the recommended fix is (chair, wrist support, computer table, etc.).

The question has arisen about whether this might be too little too late. Because of the cost of such equipment, we have taken this approach, but there is a case to be made for the fact that an ergonomic set-up before the fact will prevent pain and stress on the part of the employee when a medical condition is felt and treated, and costs to the employer/workers comp insurer for medical treatment.

Obviously the question then becomes do you provide for all, try to make some determination of need based on job description, or just say "anybody who wants an ergonomic set-up gets one"?

Do any of you take a more proactive approach, and if so, what do you do? How do you separate the "legitimate" from the bogous requests, or do you?

We currently have an employee who has been diagnosed with "severe carpal tunnel syndrome", and she noticed the symptoms over a year ago, mentioned it to her supervisor, but didn't bring it to HR. Our policy does require the employee to initiate the request. I may just need to reiterate the policy, but I do also wonder about being more proactive.

Carol

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I consult for several school districts and have had some training in computer workstation analysis. The districts have budgeted a modest amount ($5000) for equipment which I recommend.

I met with the secretaries from the buildings before school started and explained some simple ergonomic principles (neutral position, etc). I then offered to come to their building and do an analysis. We had about 75% response. I kept a database of the recommendations from the analyses and submitted the package to the Financial Director to order in volume. They have a discount with certain suppliers, so with the discount and the volume buying they were able to get the equipment for under $4000.

This approach not only saved on equipment purchase, but it showed good faith by the employer and allowed me to meet one-on-one with the employees. During the analysis I asked about symptoms and made some recommendations for seeking medical treatment based on what I heard from the employees.

Although the claims numbers rose for a few months with these claims, the healing time, treatment time and claims costs were lower compared with a serious musculo-skeletal injury. If you explain to employees these reasons for early reporting, they understand it is in their best interest to take care of their injury early.

Hope this helps!
  • You might check, too, with your workers' comp carrier to see if they have some help in this area. To reduce claims, some will send someone out to evaluate your offices and recommend changes - many of which won't be too costly, like getting chairs and keyboards at proper heights and computer monitors in proper orientations.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• Thanks to both of you for your responses. We are checking with our workers comp program, and are also putting together a plan to review workstations and offer tips about work habits designed to relieve RSI siutations.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

Carol