Chatter Box

I have an employee who will be returning to work after a seasonal lay-off. At the end of the 2002 season her supervisor informed her of performance issues he had with her work and he wasn't calling her back after lay-off. He had not addressed his concerns with her during the season and failed to give her an opportunity to correct her performance. When she starts the season she will be on a 90 day probationary period. To address the issues I have developed a performance improvement plan. For the most part, dealing with and correcting the problems are straight forward, except for one. When the employee gets nervous she doesn't stop talking. Unfortunately, she tends to naturally be a nervous person. She travels around to various company facilities and works with a number of different teams. Her co-workers don't want to work with her because she chatters all day. They claim they can't focus on their jobs. Also, she chatters so much it takes her longer to complete her tasks. Even if she corrects the majority of the other issues, I am afraid her supervisor will still want to term her if she doesn't get the chatter problem under control.

She is a kind and sensitive person. I am struggling with how to gentle tell her to control her excessive chatter while still making the point very clear. Any suggestions on how to approach this problem?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I had to actually stop right in the middle of reading your question to go up front to see if our receptionist is still here. She sounds just like the gal you describe. I think you already know that the only way to confront or deal with an employee who is an incessant chatter-box is to tell her that and tell her that you expect her to work on it and change the behavior. It is important that she hear you say that the Company's concern is not with her chatter, but, with the effect it has on others who are trying to work. Perhaps she then might not personalize it as much; but, if she does, she does. Sugar coating this problem will only get it ignored. I'll bet that's the same approach that's been tried several times over the years......to no avail.
  • I agree with almost everything Don D posted. But, you should also point out that her job performance is affected (takes her longer to complete tasks). Obviously, the primary concern is her chatter. If she doesn't get it under control, she will eventually be terminated. I would tell her straight out. She is probably well aware of the problem, you are clarifying the possible consequences. Also, if you have an EAP, suggest she contact them.
  • A ball gag might help.
    My $0.02 worth x:D
    DJ The Balloonman
  • While the ball gag might be effective (and quite a picture to see!), I would also suggest that in addition to "chatting" with the employee about her excessive talking, you mention to other employees who are complaining that they have the right to ask her to shush. I mean, you said she is kind and sensitive, so why are they all afraid to tell her they have work to do and can't chat? It would be hard for her to be this way, if there's no one to listen. And also, if she has that much time to chat, I bet she may have time to get other things done..maybe she's not busy enough?