Company with no HR Manager

What do you think of a company with 75 employees which has no HR Manager? What I need to know is . . . what value does a true HR manager bring to an organization? How can I convince management that this is truly a needed position and that we should invest the money in hiring someone?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Having an HR Manager is like practical preventive maintenance : to make sure your company's practices regarding hiring, promotions, pay , firing , recordkeeping, discipline , COBRA , FLSA, workers comp, vacations, military leave and lots more - is within the letter and spirit of the Law. In today's out-of-control-litigation-obsessed society, prevention of lawsuits before they happen is THE way a top-notch HR manager positively affects the bottom-line.
    Good luck !

Chari
  • A true HR manager will make sure the company is in compliance with a whole bunch of federal and state laws and will help keep the company out of court. Some of the Federal laws are: Age discrimination in Employment Act, Amercians with Disabilities Act, Civil Rights Act, Consolidated Omnibus Benefits Reconciliation Act, Consumer Protection Act, Drug-Free Workplace Act, Electronic Communications Privacy Act, Employee Polygraph Protection Act, and on and on...

There are sources that anyone in the company can use to become familiar with the different acts, but then you have to also know the court's interpretation of the various laws and that can change almost daily. The HR manager must spend some time every day keeping up on changes. HR managers provide training for managers and supervisors, act as sounding boards for management and employees, give the employees a sense of fairness in the workplace, and generally handle payroll and benefits besides. Smart CEO's have the HR manager in company planning and staff meetings because HR is such an intergral part of the business. They participate in industry salary surveys, make sure everyone has up to date job descriptions and is paid a fair wage for the work provided. Members of professional organizations like SHRM promise to live up to high ethical standards of conduct.

The average HR/employee ratio is 1 1/2 HR staff to 100 employees. A company of 75 workers could easily justify a full time HR manager. However, there are a lot of CEO's that don't realize the importance of HR until after they've been hit with a major lawsuit and look for someone to bail them out. Good luck!
  • I would check with your employment practices insurance carrier. You can decrease your premium significantly by showing that good employment practices are in place including having a professional to run the show. Our carrier asks for a copy of the Personnel Practices Handbook and information regarding turnover, etc. Our firm of 86 would be paying much higher premiums if I were not here to keep an eye on everything. I would suggest bringing in someone part-time to start. I work 30+ hours per week and I can handle a firm of 86. (But then again, I'm good, very good!) This would be a great compromise and the reduction in premium with your insurance carrier would pay for it.
  • It sounds like your boss thinks he/she can buy some HR software and get by. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's time for you guys to wake up, smell the coffe, and join the 21st Century.