State of Emergency

We are currently under a state of emergency due to the snow storm. We had some employees that came to work and some who did not. Under the no fault attendance policy two of these employees are now due to be written up. Should we overlook this one day and opt not to write these employees up? Does the fact that we are under a state of emergency mean these days can't count?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Golly,let it go this time! Amend your policy to consider a state of emergency
    as a reason to not come in. Certainly, you don't want employees risking their lives to come to work...

Chari
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-18-03 AT 10:47AM (CST)[/font][p]Ditto to Chari. .I recall they declared states of emergency so people would stay off the roads. .the only exception would be if you are ie a hospital. When I worked in such a place, people who made it in got time and a half, those who couldn't got Admin. leave for the shift.
  • Stacey: You don't need somebody fussing about this right now, but, since you are in Pennsylvania, I would think the Company should have either experienced this annually or at least have had such a clause in the policy manual. Be sure to slip one in now. The underlying question in this puzzle is, "Knowing what I know about the weather where I work, how do I keep from having to automatically terminate a person, in response to our policies, who cannot reasonably and safely get to work?" Answer, "Deal with it as an excused absence now and rewrite the policy to address weather phenomena."
  • Chalk it up to "Act of God" and go on. I wouldn't hold this against anyone. We have a similar policy and had a "ice day" where lots of people didn't feel safe driving to work or had child care issues as all the schools and day cares closed. The next day, there was a a delayed opening of schools and day cares. Some employees used this as another day off as it just happened to be Friday, but this was counted as unexcused. Everyone should have been at work by 11AM.
  • Rockie don't go blaming God for this one! It is completely Mother Natures fault. She is responsible, not God. It is always funny in situations like these, how people who live on the same street have different outcomes. Some will make it in, and others will not be able to. Have seen it before. Of course from a p.r. standpoint you can't win, so make an extreme weather exception and try and do something to acknowledge those that made it in.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Bman: It is quite sexist of you to blame a women for this (mother nature) rather than God who I am sure you assume is male. Guess what? She (God) saw this and she is ticked!