New Hire Safety Orientation

I'm relatively new (less than 1 year) with my current employer and have been given the responsibility of re-creating the safety committee within the organization. The committee has done several things since I have taken over and the members of the committee have a positive outlook on the safety issue. At the most recent meeting I told the committee that I wanted them to come up with some ideas regarding what types of safety things new hires should be trained on when they are initially hired. Currently the safety training consists of giving them safety glasses, ensuring they have steel toe shoes, and providing them with hearing protection as well as showing them the proper way to wear them. I would like something more comprehensive.

Can anyone give me some examples of what you do? We are a wireform manufacturing company.

Thanks.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Linda,
    The new hire safety orientation is your chance to set the expectations and get them started on the right foot. You are covering the PPE (personal protective equipment) are you having a hearing test done? If you have a hearing conservation program, you are required within a certain time frame to have a hearing test performed. I also discuss when PPE would be appropriate at home. As the safety guy my concern is their safety both at home and work and I give examples when safety glasses would be appropriate.
    You also should train on Hazard Communication-MSDS etc., your emergency action plan, injury reporting, safety is their responsibility, location of first aid stations, and the other safety training that you do also.
    I also talk about the cost of accidents, how their are hidden costs, I have a handout with an iceberg showing direct and hidden costs, I could fax it to you if you like.
    I also discuss unsafe acts vs. unsafe conditions. Which cause more accidents and why. I also discuss past safety performance, and current goals.
    And I also talk about why they need to work safely, and how 10 years ago I would have been talking about it is required, you must follow the rules etc....., but then I admit, I have learned nobody is going to work safe because I tell them to. OSHA and rules don't matter. But family does, I ask how many have children, a wife or significant other. I point out that is the reason to work safely. So you go back home to your life in one piece, to the things that really matter. I also talk about breaking your arm in a workplace injury, hey we might even have restricted duty, or WC will pay you. But what good does that do you when you are home by yourself with two young children trying to get them dressed and fed?
    Okay I have gone on way long. Linda if you would like to call me to discuss it further email me and I will give you my phone #.
    Well I guess that is my $0.06 worth today.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Balloonman is right on. A couple of other things that are included in our orientation / training are: Ergonomics / lifting; Bloodborne Pathogens; Fire Extinguisher Use and Fire Safety; and basic First Aid procedures. You would be surprised at how many do not know how to use a Fire Extinguisher or safely put a bandaid on someone.
  • Balloonman and POPEYE are both right on the money. You should also consider the following in your new hire safety orientation; Confined Spaces CFR Part 1910.146(k), Electrical CFR Part 1910.332, Lockout/Tagout CFR Part 1910.147(c)(7), Respiratory Protection CFR Part 1910.134(b)(3) and Powered Industrial Truck CFR Part 1910.178