Recruiters / JR Recruiters / Assistant Recruiters

Hi everyone I'm back! :DD I'm currently taking 3 classes toward my BS in Bus. Admin this term plus my FT job as an HR Assistant so I haven't had the time to check this board or post. ANYHOW, I have a questions for you all: Do your organizations employ a Recruiter or Recruiters? If only one Recruiter is employed, does he/she have an assistant or is there a "JR Recruiter" as well? I'm trying to get the feel for this area of HR. Currently, as an HR Assistant, I spend about 80% of my time supporting our sole Recruiter. I love it, but some of my other duties (maintaining personnel files, clerical support for the rest of HR, drafting policies/procedures, etc.) are getting backlogged. I'm thinking I would like to move into SOME sort of a Recruiting role but I don't really know what would be a feasible structure to propose to my boss. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Cinderella

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have 200 employees in our manufacturing area, 70 data entry operators in an accounts payable area and approx 20 management / executive level. With the title, Assistant HR Manager, I am the sole recruiter for all as well as administering all other HR functions. I do get significant support from 3 admin assistants serving our Administrative Offices. I can feel your frustration especially when there are several openings that needed to be filled yesterday.

• You've always shown in your posts that you have the guts and fortitude to seize something by the b---s. With that in your nature, and this sounds like a fortune cookie I suppose, you'll have no trouble getting where you want to be. Recruiting typically falls to whoever in the HR Department handles it best, and frequently its one of those things held close to the chest that a manager hesitates to entrust to subordinates. Companies don't often see the economic value of having 'a recruiter'. When I was with a 2400 employee trucking firm as HR Manager, I was also in charge of recruitment for all of the 550 non-driving positions. It took probably 50% or more of my time and was what I thought should be a full time job. But, what I think you can do to get a toehold at your place is this: Tell the guy in charge that you want him to let you do the next couple of background checks that need to be done and do a jam up job of it. He'll love for you to take that (mundane but important) task. Stuff like that will put you on the 'valued' shelf in the Department. Tackling, and handling really well, things like that will ensure your value. After getting a couple of toes into those traditional HR activities that are rarely delegated, will put you in a position before long to ask for a role in recruitment. Don't ask to recruit professionals right off....let your goal initially be a role in the recruitment of clerical, support or semi-skilled employees. The Old HR Heads for some reason think we're the only ones capable of recruiting people above that level. I suppose it's like my son asking me a few years ago if he could grill the hamburgers, then before I knew it, showing me he could do a steak much better than I can. Never cut a corner (until you get old). Your technique, professionalism, promptness, and completed staff work will determine where you're allowed to go with it from there. And I sense you'll get there in short order.
  • Wow, thanks Don! I actually DO do all of the background checks, references and drug test coordinating for all positions, all levels. Recently I've been drafting advertisements, job descriptions and policies/procedures for recruiting, prescreening, internal applications, etc. I also do most of the "phone screens" for all of the non-exempt positions and a few of the exempt positions, so I do really have my foot in the door already. I just think that since I started at the company as an Office Assistant (then moved up to HR Assistant) that my boss still sees me as someone who performs strictly clerical duties. The Recruiter tells me she views me as "the other Recruiter" because I basically do all of the things she does except draft offer letters and deal with immigration and relocation. So, I know I have her support...but I just need to figure out a way to present my proposal to my HR Manager in a way that she will find it hard to say no. I figure giving me a title like "Assistant Recruiter" or "Junior Recruiter" would be appropriate. I guess I just want to work out all of the kinks and find out what other companies do in their departments to back up my views. Hmmm....
    Cinderella
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-16-03 AT 08:55AM (CST)[/font][p]I don't want to hog the responses. C'mon guys out there! Let's have some advice from department heads that can help this energetic, motivated HR person out. I am really glad to see all the things you're already involved in. Let's forget the titles thing for the moment. Titles (and pay) can follow. Apparently you HAVE PROVEN your abilities since you are already intrusted with a multitude of tough HR assignments, not merely clerical. I sense your largest tripping stone (if there is one at all) may turn out to be the person you refer to as the recruiter. She very well may be territorial and possessive to the point of having a large black line drawn between you and the duties she will not share. Those are her job security, like we all have. Gain her support through your well planned approach. Get HER to share things a little at a time. Immigration is no sacred ground. I've done that for many years and, although I pretend to the owners that only I can handle it, I could easily cultivate that capability down the line in the department. If she has more than two immigration situations going at one time, she will welcome the help if you volunteer to help organize the process or track it. It's difficult to keep up with who is where on the continuum leading to green card. I think rather than approaching the boss in this effort, your objective is to get her to let you further into the door with some of the things she does. If the department is not big enough for two of her, at least you will have additional dynamite for your resume.
  • Since you are already writing job descriptions, why don't you work on yours? Put the emphasis on the recuiting end of it and down play the clerical as just part of the job that everyone has to do (like file their own paperwork, etc.). Ask for a job re-evaluation. Sounds like you are more that an HR Assistant already.
  • Mentel and Don, Thanks for the great suggestions! I talked to the Recruiter today (she's awesome by the way x:D ) and she is totally on the same page I am as far as my job duties representing the need for at least a title change and some of the clerical work shifting to an Office Assistant. She said that she will support me in any way she can and is all for showing me the ropes in things I haven't tackled yet. I am excited to have her in my corner! Once again, thank you to my hrhero.com pals. I will keep you updated as to any developements!
    Cinderella
  • I was out while this was going on, so, go for it.