Worker wants less and less physical work loads

Worker has worked for 2+years and in the last 6 months has requesed less and less physical work schedules. We have accommodated her ever request until she is now on part time only. She wants more hours, but we have no more programs with light physical loads available.

Now she has filed for unemployment benefits to make up lost time.

She has been warned also, of her below average work performance.

What, to do????

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Good luck to her on qualifying for unemployment insurance with this scenario, unless yours is one of the states summarily granting benefits willy-nilly. I think the first thing you must do is totally revaluate and revise your practice of granting request after request for less and less work. She should have reached the point long ago where she was unqualified as being unable to perform the job. You may have accommodated yourself right into a chargeable UI decision, or worse.
  • Is there some medical reason for this request for less and less work, or is it just a case of the L.A.Z.Y. syndrome? I can't fathom that a worker can voluntarily reduce their work hours and then file for unemployment to make up the difference. Boy, I am missing the boat here!

I do live in one of those screwy states (SC) that is very pro-employee when it comes to UI benefits, so there may be something that I'm missing on this one.
  • If her performance is below standards then I would address that regardless of her work restrictions, and I'm assuming those restrictions are medically documented.

Regarding UI, I also live in one of the states that is very "pro employee" and have had numerous instances wherein an employee has been able to collect UI because we (the employer) have been unable to find work for a person due to restrictions. I have questioned it and have been told that the UI office looks at the person's restrictions, as well as the geographic area the company is in and what type of an employer (manufacturing, etc.), and determines if a certain percentage (I don't remember what that number is) would be able to provide work for that person. If they deem that work would be able to be provided and you, as the employer, are unable to do so then they are granted unemployment. I know this stinks and I have argued the point with the UI office but to no avail. Just something to keep in mind.

One other interesting tidbit about UI that I found out is that employees are SOMETIMES able to collect UI during holiday weeks, even though they are getting paid for the holiday!!! I couldn't believe it when I found out and, again, argued the point, but again to no avail.

Just a little FYI!