Company Insurance

Our corporate office has a policy that if you are not covered by a spouse's insurance you must sign up with their insurance program. Is it legal to force someone to sign up for insurance? The employee does have to pay their portion of the insurance premium.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As I understand it, it depends on the carrier and your contract with them. For example, we pay 100% of employee-only premium, so our contract requires that ALL eligible employees be covered under our insurance, regardless of other coverage. However, if we required them to pay any part of the premium (as you do) the employee can choose to waive coverage. Whether or not your carrier can require coverage if the employee is paying part of the premium is something new for me. I've never heard of that before.
  • Our plan states that ALL individuals MUST carry at least single coverage regardless of other coverage. The only exception to that is if we have a husband and wife working for us and one person carries employee plus one coverage. The employee also pays a portion of the premium costs. I have not been informed of anything illegal in doing this and it is something that is written into our plan.