Salary History In Personnel Files

My company has never kept salary history, i.e. raises, bonus, etc. in Personnel Files. It is recorded with the Payroll/Accounting function.

Are there any Federal or Arizona State law's that require this information to reside in the HR File?

Thanks kindly,
Rose

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not aware of any specific laws favoring one method over the other. In all my years in HR, however, we have maintained a salary history with the personnel file, primarily for convenience.
  • In my organization, the PAR (Personnel Action Request) is generated through Human Resources. It is a two part form. The top copy stays in the personnel file and the yellow copy goes to payroll I know of no reason this information can't be kept in the personnel files. I can't tell you how many times, I have gone through an employee's personnel file trying to reconstruct a salary history (transfers, promotions, raises, etc.) and find it difficult to track this without keeping a written record. I keep these PARs in chronological order.

This is not something that any payroll office that I know if is going to keep up with. That's really not their function.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-11-03 AT 12:05PM (CST)[/font][p]I think you'll find state and federal law silent on this one. We use a 3-part 'change of status' sheet to record any and all personnel transactions with different colors going in different directions; but, we also transfer the salary history data to a separate form, which, at a glance will show all of the salaries changes by date and percent. Reconstructing it can be a real hassle otherwise.
  • Thank you for your response. Is the 3 part form you are using an internal one or a standard form purchased from a vendor. If it was purchased, would you know where you got it from?

Thanks so much,
    Rose
  • It's a farmed out print job of an internally developed form, particularly designed for our business.