Any other good sites?

I'm new to this board so please bear with me if I am posting in the wrong spot. I am with a small company, less than fifty employees, and am trying to head up the HR department. Due to budgetary issues my employer will not spend the money for a membership to HR sites such as SHRM. I have frequented sites such as this one, Workforce, and AHI (I must say out of all three I like this one the best). Are there other sites, namely where you can post questions about HR issues other than the three I have mentioned that are low key? I am worried about privacy issues as I have seen on almost all these boards an employee occasionally pops up.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Why look further? YOU HAVE ARRIVED. Gillian will take your coat. Paul will bring wine and cheese. Parabeagle will throw you a curve. Buckle your seatbelt. Welcome. x:-)
  • I've been throwing curves? Dang! All this time I thought it was my fastball. x;-)

See? Got the emoticon thing down, Don.

• Is there money in the pockets?
  • Find out if you have a local SHRM chapter in your city. Membership to the local chapter is much cheaper. Ours is $65. I have called HR people I have located in my chapter directory and gotten excellent advice on different issues. The information at the monthly meetings is good and when they have seminars, they are usually affordable. I work for a non-profit and my training and membership budget is small - I understand where you are coming from. Good luck, Barbara
  • My employer sounds a lot like yours! The owner is a member of aour local chamber of commerce. They sell reference material at reasonalble costs. I recently purchased an employment law handbook that is specific to our state and a personnel file survival kit. Check with your boss, if they are members, look at the websight for lists of material and costs.
  • I find HR-man helpful. There is also some good information on HR.com
  • Stacey36: Welcome, you want find a better and more addictive place on the net to exercise your hunger for HR information. Most of us are willing to help and provide of our resources. While my Employee Handbook is presently written for my company and is based on my current companies'benefits, rules, and procedures, it has gotten me through 28 years of HR positions. I will be happy to provide an upstart HR with my handbook for your use. You can just have the greatest of time snowing the company management with how fast you operate. This handbook has been used with 6 different companys and through the trials and tribulations of 6 attorneys all within my state. Write me an e-mail and provide your address and I'll zip you one in the flash of a key stroke! Pork
  • I have found ADL Associates, [url]www.adlassociates.com[/url], to be a good source of articles to forward to my managers and supervisors. Almost every edition has a pertinent article with interesting information.

The managers and supervisors love getting them.

Other websites I enjoy:
    BLR HR resource, [url]http://hr1.blr.com[/url]
    Salary.com, [url]www.salary.com[/url]

As always, keep in mind that just because it is in print (or on the web) it doesn't make it so. This forum is great for a reality check and is my favorite.
  • You might also try HRNet, one of the YahooGroups. It has somewhat similar content to this group, but is much less personable. This group is down-home-friendly, HRNet is big-city-brusque. Searching the archives rhere can be very useful, as there are occasionally detailed, almost white-paper, responses.

As with all web sources, caveat emptor.

[email]HRNET-subscribe@yahoogroups.com[/email]

Regards,

Steve

Steve McElfresh, PhD
    Principal
    HR Futures

• Stacey...don't let the fact that your boss won't pay for a SHRM membership stop you from joining. If you're serious about your HR career, do whatever you can to get the resources and tools you need to succeed.

SHRM has wonderful information (so do a lot of the other sites previously mentioned) and having access to it will help you respond more quickly to issues that arise in your company. Once your employer sees how valuable the membership is, you might be able to negotiate for the company to pick up the tab (or 1/2) the next year.

Although it's nice when our employers pay for our professional membership and training, it's important to remember the benefits you'll get even if it comes out of your own pocket.

Good luck!