Reference Check

I was asked to do a refence check on a candidate that just completed a phone interview with our company. I got the following questions from a previous post:

1) What was your relationship with the applicant?
2) How long did you supervise/work with this person?
3) What were the appl. job title & duties?
4) How would you compare them with others doing the work?
5) Srong points?
6) Areas for improvement?
7) If I were this person's supervisor, what advice would you have for me to maximize his/her performance on the job?
8) Supervisory ability?
9) Describe how he/she got along with people
10) Attendance/puctuality: Excluding disability or absences covered by FMLA, about how many days of work did ______________ miss in the last year of employment?
11) Did this person exhibit any common personality traits that interfered with work performance? Examples.
12) Reason for leaving
13) Would you rehire?
14) Position for which best qualified
15) Additional comments

Can I just fax this with some sort of consent form to the candidate and have him sign acknowledging the reference check. Then can I fax that to the person the candidate referred to complete and fax back to me? Does anyone have any similar samples or consent forms? my e-mail address is [email]hr@csiheat.com[/email]

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I found out that you do not need a consent form from the candidate.(In NC) It is just maybe a little more ethical and good for the candidate to see that you are keeping them in the loop of what you are doing...

However, any sample reference checks would still be helpful. THANKS!
  • Our consent is right on our application. All must complete an application completely, even high level management candidates. This way they give their consent and dates of service and salary information. When I do a reference, I ask the kind of questions that you list. If the person that I am calling wants a release, I fax a copy of the application consent.