Procedures for I-9's

We have been notified, effective January 1, 2003, a new law will prohibit New Hampshire businesses from recording or storing personal information obtained from a person's driver's license,in any electronic form or format, without specific written authorization from the state Department of Safety. One must
obtain consent from the license holder to photocopy the license.

Our organization regularly copies driver's licenses for I-9 purposes and this law now says we cannot. Sometimes I take birthdates from the driver's license if the person did not provide it one other paper work filled out by the employee and this law states we cannot take any information without consent.

Does anyone have a sample form or a suggestion on how to create a consent that I may use for consent from the employee authorizing us not only to copy their license but to remove pertinent information from their license and update our systems if needed?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • One must
    >obtain consent from the license holder to photocopy the license.
    >
    I think your answer is contained in your quote of the new law. When an individual completes the I-9 Form, I would think that is in effect giving consent for you to verify what he claims to be the truth. And if he hands you the license in the verification process and you tell him what use you are making of it and that you are copying it, I don't think you will need a separate form to back up that process. No doubt the law you cite is an effort to curb all these identity thefts that are occuring. By the way, the largest source of stolen identities occurs in restaurants where we hand a waiter our credit card and he goes off with it and comes back with your receipt...and in the process he runs it through a copier or transcribes from it onto his personal journal.