job descriptions

I am about to update all agency job descriptions. They are already written. They just need to reviewed for minor changes. I was just wondering what other out there do when updating job descriptions. Do you give them to the supervisors to reveiw with their staff? What is HR's role in revising these?
Are you putting the ADA requirements on your job descriptions?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our job descriptions, which have accompanying 'physical demands analysis reports', are as ADA compliant as we could make them. When it comes time to update a job description, we send copies to the incumbent as well as their supervisor and provide them with update instructions and suggestions. We also give them a timeline (deadline) by which to have them back in HR. HR's role is largely facilitative at this point. But, we are also very cautious to be sure all entries and updates are labor law compliant and sensitive to federal/state regulations. After materials are returned, HR has the VP over the jobs look over the draft and sign as 'approved by' on the final typed copy.
  • Do you normally create a job description for every person or create the job
    description for the position? Ex. We may have 5 people in a Therapist position. The position is basically the same, but often times employees think the job desciption should fit their job exactly and not a general one for a
    Family Therapist.

• For most job changes, it is merely a change by the supervisor, then signed off by the supervisor and the employee. If it is a major change, created by new responsibilities etc. we ask the employee to complete a detailed questionnaire which is signed off by the supervisor. We then develop a completely new job description from the information contained in the questionnaire. The job descriptions are written in an ADA format.
  • Along the same lines....(I am also in the process of updating JDs)I was told we will need to add a HIPPA compliance statement to all of our job descriptions. Would anyone "out there" have wording for a statement?