Leave and Other Laws in CA, WA, HI, NV & AZ

I have just recently been promoted to a position where I have HR responsibilities in California, Washington, Hawaii, Nevada and Arizona. Since all of my HR experience has been in Arizona, I am looking for sites, seminars and other resources where I can learn the employment laws in the other states. Does anyone know of any good resources?

Thanks!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The California Labor Letter is a good way of keeping up to date. If you need an easy resource which covers all the laws for California in an easy to understand way get the California Labor Law Digest published annually by the California Chamber of Commerce. Their website is [url]www.calchamber.com[/url]
    The areas which create the most problems in California, in my opinion, are wage and hour, disability (more liberal than ADA)and California leave regulations.
  • First of all, let me express to you my deepest sympathies on your promotion (just kidding).

CA and WA are probably your most problematic states. I also am responsible for multiple locations and have found the US Employer's Guide to be a wonderful quick-reference guide for the most common problems. I think I have contact info if you like.
  • Thank you for your sympathy! I have been wondering just what I've gotten myself into. I would love the contact information for that guide if you have it. It's been very eye opening to see how good employers have it in Arizona!

Thank you for your response.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-04-03 AT 03:31PM (CST)[/font][p]Gillian mentions the California Labor Letter (now called California Employment Law Letter). We also have state-specific newsletters for the other states you mention (actually, for all states and Washington, D.C.). More info at [url]www.HRhero.com/empnl.shtml[/url] . With the newsletters, you get access to the subscribers area of HRhero.com, which houses state and federal laws and regs, sample policies and government forms, a searchable archive of HR & employment law articles, etc., etc.

There, I've done my sales spiel for the day. x:-) Wish you the best with your new responsibilities!

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Christy-

Since I am a current subscriber to the Arizona Employment Law Letter, do I have access to the subscriber area of HRhero.com that you mentioned? If so, do I have a separate user name and password?

Thank you for your help!

Heidi
  • Heidi,

Yes, if you subscribe to AZ Employment Law Letter, you do have access to the subscribers area. Contact Customer Service at 800/274-6774 or [email]custserv@mleesmith.com[/email] and they'll give you your login info.

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
  • Christy I'm kind of surprised you haven't slugged me for plugging that guide I keep talking about!
  • No slugging necessary, Parabeagle (see, I remembered your correct screen name)! I don't see a problem with forum members sharing the products/tools they find helpful. Just don't want to see people registering and posting simply to be advertising themselves and/or their product. Sharing is great ... blatant advertising is bad. I can get away with it every now and then since we pay to run this free forum. x:-)

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor