Education varification from other countries...

Hello!
I hope I am in the right place to ask a question... guess I will find out! We have many applicants/employees from other countries, specifically Africa. Many of them say they have a degree of some sort but we have no way of varifying what it is equivalent to here or even if it is real. Some can provide us with the degree but that still doesn't show what is is here. Does anyone know of a website or number we can call to varify this?
Thanks much!!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Try asking for an "apostille certificate". This is a world-wide (except for us, I think) certificate which is provided by a government to prove that an individual has actually earned what he or she says that they have. I don't think it will help in trying to evaluate the quality of the education. You can find out more by just typing the words into a search engine.
  • Try to find a helpful and generous person at the international admissions office of a university. There are people who do that kind of an analysis full-time. You might also try [url]www.nafsa.org[/url]. Lots of experts there.
  • I get a disconnect notice or nobody's at home any longer when I key up that site. FYI
  • Extra period in there messed up the URL. Try

[url]www.nafsa.org[/url]
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-03-03 AT 04:55PM (CST)[/font][p]We use the H1-B immigration program quite a bit. Several years into the process with each individual, there comes a time when the professional worker's credentials need to be closely scrutinized and the government (Justice-INS) shown that the individual meets the specific requirements of the company, whereas, there are no others qualified who are available domestically. At this time, the attorneys we use to shepherd this 6-8 year long process will require us to furnish the specific job criteria and the individual's certified, original school credentials and training documents from their country of origin. Most of the time, the review and analysis of their foreign education credentials, including their transcripts, are done by companies or individuals who do just that as a sideline or perhaps a full time profession. This is much more in depth than a simple language analysis or certification or translation. You can gain such a referral or list of names of these service providers by contacting any labor attorney who has significant expertise (on the employer side) in the immigration-work visa process for professionals. Don D.

EDIT: I JUST CALLED OUR ATTORNEY. HE SUGGESTS YOU MIGHT CALL THE PEOPLE WE USE. AAA TRANSLATORS, MR. GABE O'MEARA @ 901.372.7373. IF NOTHING ELSE WITH ONE CHEAP CALL, YOU COULD FIND OUT A DIRECTION TO GO WITH YOUR PROBLEM. HOPE THIS HELPS.