On-site work child care program

Could you let me know if a survey has been implemented in your company with regard to on-site work child care programs? My employer is considering doing so. As a result, I am trying to gather information/questions for use in a surevey to be completed by staff. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We conducted a survey about a year ago. We went through the whole process. I visited several other on-site day care centers and gave my presentation to the CEO. We sent out the RFPs in November and selected a provider. Then the roof caved in. Several companies around here laid off or closed up and that will affect our revenue. So, the CEO decided to take a wait and see approch and re-evaluate in 6 months.

Good luck with yours and I hope you succeed.
  • Terri B: would you be able to give me some ideas about questions to place in a survey/questionnaire? Thanks.
  • I emailed the survey we used to you. I would be happy to help in any way I can. There is a book you should get: "Child Care Options" by Margery Leveen Sher and Madeline Fried. It will help walk you thour the process.
  • Terri-Just received your e-mail and survey. Many thanks for the survey and the information on the reference guide/book. Thanks again. PGT
  • Teri,
    Can you please email that survey to me as well...
    Thanks Much

[email]suzanne_cantey@tdk-m.com[/email]

• I will send it when I return to work Monday. Sorry for the delay but I didn't read your post until today (Sunday).
  • The cost is enormous and the liability great. Check with your state licensing requirements for a day care and you may back off pretty quickly. It sounds simple, but your have great responsibility when you are dealing with other peoples' children. You would be better off to contract with a licensed day care center and provide some sort of a stipend for day care for your individuals who have children.
  • I agree with Rockie, though I like Terri B's setup. I'd like to add this wet blanket: When it comes to child care, some parents can extremely fussy, militant, and even irrational. If I think you're giving poor care to my kid, watch out!

Gotta go pick up the angel now. x0:)

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • Before you do this you might want to check out regulations in your area. Child care is a highly regulated environment and you might find out you can't have one and then all your employees will be irritated if you have already generated interest. For example, a bunch of years ago I was asked to do a study for a former client and I found out that a child care center was not possible because the company was within "x" distance from the approach to an airport.
  • Don't let some of this scare you off. Sometimes an on-site center is a good fit for your company. We are going to provide the utilities, the building, the appliances and the telephone service. In other words the only subsidy we are going to provide is in-kind. We had no trouble finding someone state certified with all of the insurance required and the bank references we requested (we sent out a very detailed RFP). The provider we selected also operates other centers in our community. Bright Horizons (national company with national certification)is a great company but they will want in-kind and cash subsidies.
  • Ditto to Terri's comments. It does not make sense for everyone, but for some it can the right answer. For instance, I am seeing more hospitals find it cost-effective (including, sometimes, 24-hour centers) due to the cost of nurse turnover and emergency/sick child absences.

When I last looked at it a few years ago, the was generally misunderstood. Despite fears of significant risk, actual claims against employer centers were tiny and insurancliability e costs relatively low. I repeat, this was some years ago and should be updated

For some, perhaps many, circumstances are such that the program will be cost-prohibitive; for others, not.

I would add another issue if you go forward: often the number of kids you can accommodate is far smaller than the potential demand. If so, you need to think carefully and in advance how you are going to handle sign-ups and your waiting list to avoid hard feelings and the appearance of management privilege.

Regards,

Steve

Steve McElfresh, PhD
    Principal
    HR Futures