Mandatory Uniforms

We require our staff to wear uniform shirts with the company name and logo on it. We issue one new polo shirt with embroidered logo and one new t-shirt screen printed with logo at employment. We ask that all uniforms be returned at termination. If employees want more uniform shirts, they are required to purchase them at cost. We would still like to have all logo'd uniforms returned to us at termination, whether they were ones issued by the company or purchased by the employee. Can we do that? To keep costs down for the employees, we do allow for a range of logo'd attire, ranging from simple T-shirts to Tailored denim shirts. The ee chooses how much they spend on uniform shirts. We also have some returned shirts in good condition we offer to pass on, also to keep out of pocket costs down if possible.

The reason for asking for the return of shirts with our company name and logo
is that when people wear "our company name" out in public, they are representing our company. If the shirts the company name is on is old and tattered and still shown in public (even tho the shirt has been "retired" and is only making a Saturday run to the hardware store) it is still representing the company. We want to try to ensure that representation is good.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think that you could require people to surrender items they obtained at their own cost, such as clothing. If you provided it, maybe. But, when you really think about it, when people leave our employ, they still perhaps have a box of business cards, pens with logos, baseball caps and other things and the most glaring advertisement of all of their association with us is that our name is emblazoned on the rest of their personal checks as their place of employment. On a related note, I can't imagine recycling to new employees personal clothing someone has worn such as a t-shirt or logo golf shirt.
  • My thoughts are if you REQUIRE them to wear a uniform, you cannot charge them for the uniforms. Also, you give them one shirt? What if they can't or wont buy any more shirts? They wear the same one every day?

Stephen
  • I'm sorry I didn't read the post correctly. You buy them two shirts. That way they can go home and wash one shirt every night, so they'll have a clean one the next. That's much better.

Stephen
  • I'm a little confused.
    1. Why would anyone want to go home to do a wash every day.
    2. What happens if you work for the company long enough to have your shirt look tattered. Who pays for the new shirts?
  • "That's much better" was intended tongue in cheek.

Stephen
  • Sorry. I misunderstood. However, as long as I am posting (and being one who hates housework)- if I left a company and had to return a shirt I had paid for, I would not wash it before it returning.
  • It does not seem right to require employees to return items they paid for. Do you really have any recourse available if they choose not to turn in their shirts? We require employees to wear shirts with a company logo. The employees choose from a variety of shirt styles and the company splits the cost with them 50/50. Their first name is embroidered on the shirt, and the company logo is sewn on a patch. At the end of employment the patches must be turned in and the employees can keep the shirts. (Whether or not the shirt still looks nice without the patch depends on the fabric and who removes the patch. At least they still have the shirt.)
  • Rose, that is pretty funny, requiring employees to give to you clothing that they purchased!!!! I would find it quite amuzing to have an employer request that of me. I would do it, provided you paid me for the shirts that I purchased. You have the right and should have no issues in requiring employees to turn back in clothing you provided, but good luck in getting people to turn in shirts they paid for. You might look at revising this policy, it will only cause you grief.
    My $0.02 for what it is worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
    ps. What do you do with the shirts once you collect them?
  • NOOOOOOOO. I don't think you would ever get an employee to turn in a shirt they purchased! I'm glad you furnish at least two, but if they wash one every day, they will look tattered pretty quickly.

Do you get many takers on buying the old "turned in" shirts? I have dropped things off at the Good Will and have seen boxes of old uniforms that were dropped off there with the company logo emblazoned on them.

As Don said, there are pens, cups, baseball caps, taken all the time and used by former employees, so I don't see how you can control this.

Trying to collect old uniforms, storing them and/or trying to get others to purchase them has to be a pain in the neck. More trouble than it's worth.

• I worked at a company where our field crews wore uniform polo shirts with the company logo and we tried to issue them two and replace them on a fair wear-and-tear basis. Our experience? Didn't work. Finally gave in, issued everybody five shirts (no, we didn't make them turn them in if they left) and issued new ones as the old ones wore out and just chalked it up to the cost of doing business.
  • I think Rose is onto something here. Lets start charging employees for supplies (paper, pencils, etc.) too! Then, we can require them to be turned in when the employee leaves employment. That would surely reduce costs.
  • Our Dept. of Labor states that if employees are required to wear logo'd clothing, the employer must pay the tab. We issue each employee a $40.00 allowance in the spring and fall to purchase polo shirts, jackets, demim shirts, etc. Most employees can get five shirts out of the deal (we make sure the numbers work), so that there are no excuses for not having a clean shirt on each day. Obviously, they can purchase more items, they just pay the overage. This program has been very successfull because of the varied selection and the allowance.