full time hours being cut

We have a shortage of work this week and I had to cut my full time employees hours back to under 30? How many weeks am I able to do that without it affecting their full time status?

Thanks
Susan

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It depends on what your HR policies say. If they say 32 then you have to decide whether to follow the policy or make an exception, something that you might consider if you know the cutback is of short duration. A lot of times, the definition is dependent upon benefit eligibility. You might want to look at your insurance plan to determine whether or not you would be violating your insurance plan to keep employees full time when they work less than the eligibility requirements of the plan.
  • Our policy states over 32 hours to be eligible for full time. However, we don't have work for them and they can take paid leave if they have any. I will not cut their benefits down to part time for the week, however they will have alot less money since we do take their deductions out of the check that their hours are going to be cut.
  • Does your policy state 32 hours or an AVERAGE of 32 hours? Ours refers to their normal work schedule of hours so when we have a light workload their insurance is not affected.