Wine Seminars for Employees

Our wine buyer is considering conducting wine seminars for employees. We will follow convential wine tasting etiquette (i.e., employees will be "sampling" not swallowing wine samples) and we are concerned that this activity may be regulated in some way that we have not anticipated. Any ideas or concerns, I would love to hear from you. Please reply to [email]marieessig@northcoastco-op.com[/email].

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'd be concerned about a few things:

1. Will the tasting class be required. If so, employees must be paid.

2. What if an employee cannot drink because of being a recovering alcoholic or other medical reason? Will that employee be excused?

3. Will the employer certify that all participating employees are of legal age?

4. What will the employer do to provide transporation, etc. Please note that many people can be impaired even from just a small amount of alcohol. If an employee driving home after the wine tasting was in an accident, the employer would surely get sued.

Good Luck!
  • What I want to know is how can I get hired by your company? The only "wining" that goes on at my company is that nobody brought any food to eat today.
  • In addition to Theresa's suggestions, you may have state alcoholic beverage law restrictions on what you can and can't do. Most wine distributors know these rules and can guide you through them.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers