Applicants

The company I work for wants to have a policy where we only accept applications when positions arise and have all applicants fill out our application (they can attach a resume, but the application must be fill out and signed). Do any of you have a policy that goes along this line? How do you handle job seekers who fax, email, mail resumes? Am I responsible to let them know that we only accept applications when there is a position available? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!!!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-22-03 AT 01:20PM (CST)[/font][p]We have the same policy, and I see no responsibility to those applicants who submit resumes, etc. unsolicited. We do send applications to those applicants who send us a resume (solicited), and require that it be filled out completely (especially the signature, since they are agreeing to certain releases and at will employment.
  • We only accept applications for posted positions. We have this fact advertised in our ads and also we have a notice at our front desk that unsolicited resumes are not accepted. Still, we do get some faxed or emailed anyway. I simply shred the ones that are faxed or left at our front desk. I email back to the on line people that unsolicited resumes are not accepted by our company and that we post all available positions in Sunday's newspaper.

We also ask in our ads that people do not telephone. We get these also. This is another tool to give you a clue as to what kind of employee these folks might make.

If we accepted all unsolicited resumes, we would have to rent a warehouse to keep them.
  • Several years ago we hired an attorney specializing in employment issues to work with us on our job descriptions and application process. His advice, which we have followed since, is to not take applications unless for a specific opening. In that way, we avoid having to maintain a log and file of applications, and the perceived obligation to look through them to find any application which might 'fit' the job. It has worked beautifully. We notify any who mail, email, fax or deliver a resume in person of our policy and that we do not maintain a file. They are advised to watch the newspaper or check our jobline for postings. Each applicant must fill out the application form as the form will allow you to compare apples to apples, while a resume may conceal gaps in employment,etc. Since our supervisors review all applications for jobs in their department, we have not been successful in following the third leg of his advice, that the resume is not kept with the appliction, so that decisions on who gets interviewed can be made ONLY on the basis of the application. We are a public employer and therefore feel especially vulnerable since we could be perceived as having "deep pockets." So far so good.
  • I agree with this policy and practice IF it meets your needs. I would only add a word of caution that WHATEVER your policy is, you should follow it to a 'T' or you will have abandoned it in its entirety, in effect, as far as the EEOC is concerned. The inherent risk is that you have a tight policy of not accepting applications except for announced open positions and all of a sudden applicant 'x' is recommended by supervisor 'y' or worse yet, by your neighbor, and you go ahead and take that application. Or you make an exception to your application acceptance policy, that person gets hired and HE happens to be WHITE and 29. Your defense of your system is dead.

And, no you are not required to ensure that all who might apply are aware of your policy; however, you know that you should make some efforts to get the word out about what your company's practice is. I suggest putting it in writing, posting it at 'the front window' and in your internal procedures manual, advising all supervisors and stating it on your application.

Just my opinion. DD