Flex Time on Vacation Usage

Currently our agency allows exempt employees to carryover vacation time to the next payroll. Lets state my normal schedule work week is 75 hours and this week I worked 80 hours. I planned a vacation. In the following payroll I would be using the 5 hours of flex time instead of vacation time.
Would anyone like to share their vacation policies and accruals with me? Does anyone use flex time anymore?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our company currently uses flextime for both exempt and non-exempt employees. An employee that works over their normal 8 hour day is allowed to take the time off later in the week and not have to use vacation time. Our exempt employees are not required to maintain timesheets so this is something that is left to the employee and their supervisor to work out.

We are also unionized and employ this policy for these employees as well. The only difference is that the current contract states that any hours over 8 in a day are overtime so any flextime usage must be used in the same day and cannot exceed the 8 hours unless there is overtime.

Hope this helps.
  • maryfmurray: Flex time is commonly used by our company. Why are you relating this issue to work hours accumalated. If a truly EXEMPT employee works or does not work hours starting at some period of time, management is very capable of saying "Jake, you worked some mighty long hours on XXX project and you need to take off early this week, since you are going on vacation next week why don't you start your vacation at noon friday and get an early safe start against weeek-end traffic?" We and you, (your company) should not be recording time worked for truly EXEMPT employees.

We have one department in our company that we ask the managers to clock in and out. They are at seperate and remote locations and are the leaders of 9 authorized employees including the manager. We ask them to clock in and out for one purpose and that is to be able to account for the presence of the individual against other time sensitive elements of the work day and to have the ability to use the official record of management presence against any other personnel activity requiring legal testimony. We do not calculate their time and the time element is never used to figure salary information. That salary information is in our payroll computer program and it prints out a check every week unless we go into their individual data page and change the gross $ollar amount paid every week. The computer will spit out a check every week regardless of whether the individual is here or not. We do have vacation time accrued but the computer does not recognize vacation time for EXEMPT employees. We have to keep that on an EXCEl spreadsheet, which works for us!

My advice is "as an HR person", you should be able to remind department heads to take care of their people and especially the EXEMPT employees, because HR is not in the business of POLICING DEPARTMENTS AND THEIR ABILITY TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR MANAGERS AND SUPERVISORS WHO ARE DESIGNATED AS EXEMPT!!! Bottom line get HR out of the business of even knowing whether someone works 41 hours, 25 hours, or 75 and 80 hours a week! Pork