Wage Garnishments

Hello all,
Does anyone know if there are any reasons that a wage garnishment, Tax Levy or Child Support Order can not be stored in the EE's Personnel file, if not I would like to know how others file them.
Any and all responses would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bilbo

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think it is unlaful under federal law to terminate an employee for any one garnishment.So by putting this in the file you allow the employee to later say that the person responsible for the firing knew of this status and relied upon it. Also,you must check state law on this;states have varying requirments on what can be put in a file.regards ,mike maslanka
  • I have a separate file for employees where I keep such things as wage garnishments, employment verifications, private medical data. I was advised to to this years ago. This file is only viewed by HR and is not available to supervisors or managers.
  • We set up a separate "Garnishment" file that is kept in a different file cabinet from the personnel files. A copy of each check that is sent out is placed in this file. If the employee is terminated, we then put the 2 files together.
  • Other then saving space by not initiating another file, there really is no reason to keep this information with the Personnel file. Keep in mind that this information (although it shouldn't) may also have negative cogitation towards an employee if the file is reviewed by the supervisor prior to performance feedback.