Termination time period?

We terminated an employee December 9, 2002. As of this date, our corporate office has not sent any COBRA or pension information to this employee. I have had this employee contact me about when he would be receiving this information and have in turn, asked our corporate offices when this letter and information would be sent to the employee. Isn't there a certain legal time period to send t his information out to a terminated employee? I am afraid this employee will resort to legal means. We reside and do business in the state of Texas.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know about pension requirements but the COBRA notice should be sent within 14 days of the qualifying event, the day that insurance ends. If this person was insured through the end of December, then your company is still within the time period but their isn't much time left.
  • TXworker: You should pull out your Summary Plan Document for your medical coverage. In there you should find the time period designated by your medical plan. COBRA is a federal mandated program. I would expect you eill find either 45 or 60 day time period that the individual has to respond with an election to take COBRA or not to take COBRA.

WE VERY SELDOM HAVE ANYONE TO ELECT TO BE COVERED BECAUSE THE PREMIUM JUMPS FROM $166.00 PER MONTH TO $810.00 PER MONTH FOR FAMILY COVERAGE. THE JUMP IS THE UNKNOWN FACTOR THAT THE COMPANY PAYS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ACTUAL COST OF A SELF INSURED PLAN AN THE EE COST FOR DAILY COVERAGE.

PORK