Protection from Abuse Order

The relationship between a female and a male employee went sour. The HR person was then told by the female ee that she had a protection from abuse (PFA) order put against him which states a distance he is to stay away from her. They work in the same department and pass each other frequently. As the HR person, is there any obligation for the company to act in any way on the PFA? There has been no problem at work.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added

• Have you seen the order? I know the TRO's we have had implemented are very specific although we have never had one involving two employees working together. I can't imagine that a "restraining" order was issued for only after work hours, but you never know. I think you need to see how the order reads.

Elizabeth
  • Good idea. Have not seen the order, it would be nice if the work situation was spelled out - I have my doubts!
  • If there was evidence of abuse or threat of abuse sufficient to justify the issuance of a PFA, you'd better treat this carefully. I agree you should ask for a copy of the order. (BTW, it should be company policy to encourage any employee who gets a PFA to notify HR or your safety officer, in my opinion, especially when both parties are employees.) I would be very surprised if the order affected only contact away from the workplace. Assuming that it does not, I would seriously consider a temporary reassignment and workplace restriction of the purported abuser.
  • With these workers there is no way to keep them apart at work. Still have not seen the order, but I like your idea of having ees report to HR that they have obtained a PFA order. This is preventive and proactive towards a situation which could arise later. Thanks Dave