OSHA Question

We recently received an inquiry from OSHA in regard to safety. I have drafted a response, which I believe will satisfy them, however there is one small sentence in the original letter from OSHA which says we must "post a copy of this letter and your response to it where it will be readily accessible for review by all of your employees." We'd really rather not post anything for review by employees. If we ignored this request, could it turn into a real issue? By the way, this is the first time I've ever dealt with OSHA. It's been a real education. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I just went through the same thing. I would post it to be on the safe side.
  • Best not to ignore the instructions. Someone who knows what the rules are might report it and what will you do if OSHA comes back and finds out?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-07-03 AT 01:58PM (CST)[/font][p]Interesting request by OSHA. Im curious about this letter and why it needs to be reviewd by employees...

Good luck with all the questions that posting this letter will generate for your office! Sounds like you should post it though, since that is what the letter says to do.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-07-03 AT 02:05PM (CST)[/font][p]This isn't a choice. It's the law. You must post it. We posted ours on the bulletin board that was used most by the employees. Read that, had the most stuff. We did post it after working hours so it didn't attract a lot of attention. I think there are also regulations about how long you have to keep it posted. I would write on the back the date it was posted and the date it was removed and sign it so you have proof of compliance.

Hope that helps.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Margaret is correct it is the law, and she was right on about how to post it. Couple of reasons why OSHA wants the letter, and the reply on display. You are less likely to be feeding them a line of bull if the letter must be posted. If it was due to an employee complaint, it will also show the complaintant that OSHA looked into it, and that you responded/followed-up.

I believe it should say what the penalty is for failure to comply, but you must ask yourself. Do I really want to tick off the folks at OSHA? Think about it.

My $0.02 worth.

DJ The Balloonman
  • Post it! Balloonman is right. If the OSHA inquiry is a result of an employee's complaint, that employee will see the company's responce. Many such complaints are made because the unhappy employee wants to "get even" with the company. Maybe, just maybe, he/she will not be so motivated in the future.