Part time vs Half Time Emplpoyee

Hello, I am still trying to find out the difference between part time and half time. Can's anyone out there help me?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know that there is an exact definition. We consider people who work less than 40 hours, part time. Half time to me would be 20 hours a week, half of what a full time employee works. We give employees who work 30 hours benefits - medical/dental etc. We prorate vacation,sick,and holiday hours.
    Don't know if this helps at all!
  • It seems to me that the difference between part time and half time would generally be a differentiation that you might make as an employer. For instance, you might prorate some benefits for employees who work half time, but not below that level. There may also be differences that are required by law, for instance you might have to offer health insurance to all employees who work more than 30 hours per week, family leave if they meet the qualifications, etc.
    Specifically, why do you pose this question?
  • We have two employees. One works 9 hours per week and receives no benefits etc. The other works when we need him. Sometimes no hours per week, sometimes 20 hours per week - sometimes 100 hours. Just trying to put something into our company handbook. Also, want to confirm that we have to pay overtime on any weeks he works more than 40 hours.
  • Definitely pay OT for hours over 40. Some states base OT on per day instead of per week, so anything over 8 hours a day is OT. This is not the norm, though.
  • Is it safe for me to assume that this person does not get paid for holidays?
  • We pay our part time employees for holidays based on the number of hours they work, however, it is not legally required. This may depend on your state's laws. Washington is very much a pro-employee state and we are not requred to pay. You should be able to find the answer about your state on its government web site.
  • Wow! HRManager with just two employees? Where do I get a job like that? Seriously, I assume two part time employees. Since most jurisdictions (US) don't mandate vacations and holidays, you get to set the rules.
  • In our org. anything under 30 hours/week is considered part-time, whether it's 29 or 2. I'd get rid of the "half-time" terminology. We pay our part-time staff 4 hours pay for holidays, instead of the 8 paid to full-time. They don't qualify for insurance benefits, but may participate in the 401k provided they work the number of hours in a year specified by the plan.

Our part-time people are invaluable, we couldn't make it without them.
  • I agree and that's why I am trying to get a good feel of what I should be doing with him. He has been part time for a few months and we have not paid him overtime - do we have to go back and pay him for past overtime hours he has worked? By the way, I have 8 full time exempt employees also:)
  • The FLSA says you pay overtime to ANY employee who works over 40 hours in one "workweek." They define a workweek as 7 consecutive 24-hour periods. If he worked more than 40 hours in any week, you'd better get busy and pay the time and a half for the hours in excess of 40. The fact that the employee is part-time and I assume is paid on an "hourly" basis automatically makes him non-exempt, meaning you must pay overtime.
  • Also, are your exempt people salaried? Being salaried doesn't automatically make one exempt either. Depends on the job duties. Someone can be salaried and still require payment of overtime if they exceed 40 hours.

• My salaried people are exempt. My part time person turned in an invoice for past overtime and we didn't know whether we had to pay him for that or not... Sounds like we do have to.
  • Is this verifiable time? Make sure he actually worked it. Once they turn in an invoice, the next step is likely to be the Dept. of Labor, and they'll make you pay it and probably audit your payroll records, so bite the bullet and pay. Good luck.