Suggestion Box Program

I need your help with ideas on how to implement an employee suggestion box program.

I work for a multi-site specialty frozen food manufacturer of approx 200 employees.

The need of having in place a program, which encourages employees to share their suggestions with management has erupted because of many reasons. To enhance communications, we have developed an employee newsletter, employee monthly meetings, and yet we feel that our employees would like to express - perhaps anonymously their ideas, concerns, etc...

Our company would like to recognize employees if their ideas are implemented or use some kind of reward system for reporting unsafe conditions, etc...

So far, I have determined that I will need a team of three to five members to review employee sugestions once a month and probably use the employee newsletter or monthly meetings to discuss topics...

Please advise - any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
VG in Chicago

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You could set up some type of reward system based on savings to the company. For example, if a suggestion saves the company XX dolllars, give the employee a percentage of that savings. I would recommend that if you implement something like this, that you have these figures in place in advance and they are communicated to the employees.
  • Don't do it. I have been involved in several cases where employees sued saying they deserved a percentage of the savings. A plaintiff's lawyer will find loopholes,or unclear language,or who knows what and you will regret the day you thought of it when the jury comes back with a multmillion dollar award(which has happened).You get minimal value from these programs,and maximum exposure. Save yourself the headache.Regards from texas,mike maslanka
  • I would suggest offering pre-paid, self-addressed envelopes at all job sites for suggestions and concerns. That way those "concerns" could be completely confidential and those employees who want recognition could add their names to their correspondence. If you are so inclined, perhaps you could devise a form for this communication: space for comments, name (optional), suggestions for improvement, etc. The more anonymity you provide the better likelihood you have of getting a response.

I think your idea of having a team of employees review the items is a good one. Do you think management will go along with that? Do you have a way to put together the team, for example, who would serve, for how long, criteria for selection, do you ask for volunteers?

Good luck with this.
  • vgudiel,

Your company already has a system for employee concerns and suggestions -- it's called supervisors. And your evaluations and compensation system should already reward employees for good work, which includes good ideas. You might want to teach your supervisors how to improve communication with employees through small meetings, informal discussions, one-on-one, etc. I think it's better for employees to talk to their supervisors first about (almost) anything.

Back in the real world, a suggestion box sounds like a good idea. But I wouldn't give rewards that encourage going outside the chain of command.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • We have a Suggestion Box Program - and it has worked out very well for us (we have under 50 employees).

We have a policy that for any suggestion implemented and deployed we wil reward the employee with a $25. supermarket gift certificate. We feel that it is our way of rewarding our employees for thinking "outside the box" and sharing their ideas, while at the same time thanking them without being extravagant. It has worked well for us.

Just my 2 cents worth ...
  • At our company we have a monthly suggestion winner. The department heads read the suggestions submitted by employees and select a winner. The winner receives a small compensation check.
  • We have an entire suggestion program with a committee made up of Assistant Managers that meets once per month. All employees are encouraged to use our Intranet to submit suggestions that go to all members of the committee.

We review suggestions and award a dollar amount according to their merit. We have a rather small budget and the awards range from $25.00 to $200.00, depending on the impact of the suggestion.

The most important task is to respond to each and every suggestion with a great big thank you whether the idea is implemeted or not.