Problem Employees

We have a group of employees that just aren't getting along and we feel we have tried everything to fix the problem.

This department of 5 women have seemed to split up 4 versus 1. What seems to happen is that this employee seems to antagonize the other 4. For example, there is an unwritten rule that you are supposed to stay out of other staff's work area. Well, this one employee always goes over to the other person's work area and uses the phone. (Apparently, this other phone must be better?) Well, what happens is another co-worker will see this person going into the co-workers work area and "tattle" on that co-worker. Another example, is that the one co-worker will make a comment like, 'you aren't doing your job right', or "i could do your job better", etc, and these two people have different jobs, so she shouldn't even be making comments regarding the other person's work.

However, everytime the supervisor confronts this employee about the statements the co-workers report that she is making, the employee always denies it, and says "No, I never said that" or "No, I never went into her work area". It's becoming extremely frustrating trying to prove who is right or wrong. You can kind of tell who's really telling the truth, but it's so hard to prove when you hear, "No, I never said or did that."

We've tried having the group do team building activities and trust activities, but the one employee kept saying that she refused to participate, and when forced to participate, just seemed to have a really bad attitude and nothing worked.

She keeps making comments like, she believes that we think the others are telling the truth because she's black and they're white.

The problem we've run into is that we told the others that they will have to get us proof of what's happening, like, putting it in writing as to the date and time it happened, and trying to get a witness to observe what was said or done, and that would help us establish some proof, so now, they are deluging us with communication forms on different times and dates of different incidents and listing witnesses. Some are for very minor issues. However, now the one employee is doing the same thing, she has come up with minor issues against each of her co-workers and documenting and getting witnesses. It's really turning into a nightmare.

Any advice?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • HRMR: Get a video camera and make sure they are all aware of the presences and the recording. Lay down the rules and standards of conduct for all players. Get away from fact finding and telling or ratting on each other. Make sure they all know that since they can not build a team together then the company has one choice and the company will build a team that can move on to producing the work required in a very effective manner. Since we can not get to the truth through their co-operation we will find out the truth through the video camera and those not building a solid relationship with each other will be gone!!! It is as simple as that! This is a business it is not a school room or a play ground, we do not have time for this nonsense. Black and White, green or yellow it does not come into play, we will have adult attitudes and adult productivity and the child or children will be gone! I would have each person and all persons in for a beginning and a restart under the new rules, each will sign an acknowledgement form, they do not have to agree, but they will work together and will put this BS aside!!!

Employee child like behavior in the work place has cost businesses $_Zillions; it is our (managers/supervisors)fault because we do not get out the 2 x 4 an hit them over the head to first get their attention. Pork
  • If her sole explanation is that the other emplyees are saying these things against her because she is black and they are white, then you will need to be prepared to prove that whatever you do with her was not becuase of race or other (illegal) discriminatory factors.

I would just document the efforts and the incidnets that are being reported.

If managmeent isn't ready to deal with her on a formal disicpinary basis, have you considered moving her to another unit (subject to the issue I raised above) and giving her a "fresh" start with new co-workers?

Put her notice of expectations for proper performance, document them and investigate any "violative incidents" (get written statements if needed just to be able to show to EEOC if and when the time comes), deal with progressive discipine, make sure racial animus is not involved with the other workers, and then discharge her if she hasn't straigthened out.

Or just term her now and take your chances.
  • As is the case on most playgrounds in America, there is simply no substitute for 'adult supervision' in the workplace.
  • I think you should treat this as possible harassment or discrimination based on race, which means you have a duty to investigate. I assume you won't find any direct evidence of racial bias, so you shouldn't let the black employee get the idea that she's now fireproof. But the fact that you investigated could help you down the road.

They're acting like 8-year-olds, so maybe you should talk to them on that level. Someone needs to explicitly tell them that everyone needs to follow the rules, act like adults, behave in a businesslike manner, and work as a team -- these are all job requirements.

I like the camera idea.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • I suggest the company start managing those employees!!

The supervisor might have to spend more time with these employees until the issues are resolved. If the situation has deteriorated to such a petty level, the supervisor might have to actually be there for a large part of the shift to supervise, and actually be in the area with all of the employees.

Sounds like a personality conflict, but I see nothing that would warrant termination about the way the employee is performing her job.

All the employees should be told that they are expected to RESPECT each other, and work together.

Now that this employee has brought up the issue of race (which quite frankly could be the real reason the other employees are ganging up on her), she is protected from retaliation. Before disciplining the employee, the company should have a very GOOD reason that supports discipline. Used a phone at someone else's desk doesnt seem like a very strong reason (of course that depends on the reason for the rule).

Good Luck!