Budget for My Department

Hi all,
I was recently asked to provide a budget for the HR Department...We are not that big- usually around 80-90 employees. Has anyone ever done this before and if so what did you factor in? They want to know what it will cost to run the dept.as far as safety meetings, flu shots, handouts, ect. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Is this a new thing or is there a previous budget you can look at? For example have you given flu shots before so you know the history of expenditure? Also consider things like advertising, background checks, pre employment physicals, testing training, overtime, etc. You will need more info. from your finance dept, I think. IE some companies would charge the cost of physicals back to the dept. Iam sure some of the less financially challenged will jump in here and help.
  • If you are able to, you should also 'fight' to keep things that you have no control over from appearing as expenditures in the HR budget. For example, here at this company, any off-site training or seminars, no matter what the department, appears as expenditure items applied to the HR budget. Often I have no idea the department head even considered or assigned or scheduled the employee to attend. This makes the budget process totally unmanageable. Therefore, when it comes time for me to offer my quarterly explanation for over-expenditure, the whole process becomes a joke, a futile exercise. That diminishes the value of the whole budget and expenditure control process.
  • I agree you need a little more information from your finance folks but if it helps the areas I report for my budget are:
    advertising
    office supplies
    seminars/education (for my staff only not the whole co)
    travel
    dues/subscriptions
    management search
    contracted services (background checks, salary surveys)
    tuition reimbursement (for whole company)
    reception expenses (this includes service awards, going away parties)
    miscellaneous (always have this)

I also have to report and project benefit expenses for entire company but this is separate from my dept budget.
  • Thanks so much- this is what i was looking for...
    S

> I agree you need a little more information from your finance folks
    >but if it helps the areas I report for my budget are:
    >advertising
    >office supplies
    >seminars/education (for my staff only not the whole co)
    >travel
    >dues/subscriptions
    >management search
    >contracted services (background checks, salary surveys)
    >tuition reimbursement (for whole company)
    >reception expenses (this includes service awards, going away parties)
    >miscellaneous (always have this)
    >
    >I also have to report and project benefit expenses for entire company
    >but this is separate from my dept budget.

• thanks for the info- I will try and get more on my end as well