Walking Soap Opera - Help!

I could use some advice. We have an employee (nonexempt accounting clerk) who is carrying more than her share of personal drama and tragedy, much of it of her own making. Unfortunately, it is affecting her ability to do her job through increased (read virtually constant) tardiness. In the past six months, this employee has exhausted all of her vacation, ETO (earned time off), personal day and sick days and gone into an "unpaid" status for any time away from work (so far, a total of 23 days has been missed -- in the last six months).

Reasons for the tardiness and absenteeism all revolve around her (a) troublemaker son who keeps getting suspended from school for knocking somebody's head in; (b) her estranged husband who keeps threatening to come after her (despite a restraining order, she keeps letting him back into her house); (c) her daughter who is constantly having some sort of trouble (be it automobile, boyfriend, etc.); personal illnesses (colds, flu, etc.). She has been told by our local court system (with which she is keenly familiar thanks to her husband and son) that she needs to do something about her situation and has been directed to counselors, social services agencies, but for whatever reason she is not following up.

I don't want to be insensitive about the situation but we are running a place of business and not a social services agency. One of the keys to her ability to do her job is the ability to be here (and no, we tried flexible work hours and telecommuting -- those are not options in this case).

The employee's supervisor is quite sympathetic to her plight but is exceedingly frustrated. She expects all her other employees to toe the line when it comes to attendance and punctuality and she cannot get this employee to get with the program. She is hesitant to discipline her because of the circumstances surrounding her tardiness/absenteeism and the fact that she is our only minority employee (and keeps reminding the supervisor of that fact).

Personally, if it were any other employee she probably would have been terminated some time ago. I am thinking of recommending to the supervisor that we sit her down, express our empathy with her situation and point out that it's affecting her attendance which in turn is affecting her ability to do the job. Then I suggest that she take some time off (a week or so leave of absence -- unpaid) to address her needs, attack the problems (she knows where the resources are) and then come back to work.

I don't know of any other way to handle it. I'm hoping that giving her the uninterrupted time off will actually force her hand and nudge her toward taking care of her needs. Am I on the right track or is there, perhaps, a better way to approach this? I'm all ears! Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks.

Eric

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This sounds like an employee who used to work for me. I am glad to see she got another job!!

Seriously -- This employee should be disciplined and treated like anyone else. The only excusable reasons for tardiness at this point would be some type of covered FMLA excuse. Who cares about the reasons? Her tardiness is impacting the department (and you can bet that the next time one of the other employees is late, you will hear about how this employee has been allowed to slide by).

If she has not been written up, it should be done immediately. She should be given a clear, direct and final written warning -- no more being late -- and if you are late here is the consequence: termination.

If you have already gone through writing her up, then termination is the next step.

Good Luck!!
  • Theresa and Sonny are on target. This employee must be counceled immediately, if she is allowed to continue you are sending a message to all employees the can and probely will come back to bite you sooner than later. This employee shoule and must not be treated differently than other employees. After the counceling session you and insert "Futher occurrences of this nature will lead to disciplinary act up to and including termination".
    Make it clear and take appropiate action if you expect other employees to respect you and the company.
  • I agree with Theresa. No matter if this employee is a minority or not, you need to treat her the same as other employees. You have already allowed her plenty of time off paid and unpaid. Now is the time to meet with her and ask her if she can work the days the job requires. She may say this isn't working and leave on her own. If she says yes, I can work these days and doesn't show up for any reason, you have a performance issue that should be addressed just like it would be for another employee.
  • CONSISTENCY IN ADMINISTRATION OF YOUR POLICIES.
    REGARDLESS.
    EMPATHY NOTWITHSTANDING.

ALTHOUGH HR PEOPLE HAVE EMOTIONS, THEY CANNOT ADMINISTER POLICIES EMOTIONALLY.
  • I have never seen Don shout before... I wonder how he really feels on this one?
    x:o
  • I was kinda hoping his Caps Lock key was just stuck.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-19-02 AT 07:11AM (CST)[/font][p]I agree with the above and think of it from the angle that you REALLY may not be helping her by allowing her to get away this. Sure it's unfortunate and sad, but you said it yourself, she is making alot of her own problems. I would sit her down with the ole sandwich approach (positive-"meat" in the middle-positive) ie We are sorry for the problems you are experiencing, but it is our expectation that people arrive to work on time and do their jobs. It is our expectation that you do what you have to do to address your personal problems so that you can meet this expectation. Unfortunately, if you do not, we will need to terminate your employment. We are confident that you will be able to address our concerns." Put the ball in her court and hold her too it.
  • I'm with Don on this one. If you have a policy and have not followed it at this point, the credibility of HR and management will suffer for a long time.

Once you are through this issue you must be absolutely consistent in administering your attendance policy. Once broken, trust is really hard to rebuild.

I would, by the way, give the final warning. These are our expectations and the next occasion will result in termination.

She's had the equivalent of 1 month off (out of 6). Another week is not going to solve her problems.
  • Sorry, I didn't mean to SHOUT. I didn't even realize my caps button had been triggered. I don't shout, by the way. I'm too reserved and restrained for that sort of behavior.
  • I appreciate everyone's input on this issue. Your postings were a real eye-opener for the individual's supervisor. I've been trying to be empathetic (after all, the last time I played a villain was Tobias J. Everheel in "Green Valley") but keep pointing out that it's an issue that needs to be addressed and can't be approached from a position inconsistent with our existing policies and procedures. Floating the idea of an unpaid leave of absence was a compromise position that would probably have just delayed the inevitable.

The manager has just informed me, in fact, that she "knows what I have to do, but just can't do it."

So now I'm dealing with a reluctant manager.

Is it Friday yet???

• I will weigh in one final time with the suggestion that, together, you and the manager look up the word 'enabler'.
  • With all due respect, I think the "enabler" characterization is a bit harsh. Our company has salvaged underperforming and "borderline" employees in the past and I suspect we will continue to do so in the future. Our compensation, benefits structure and policies are consistently more liberal than the local requirements where we operate, we try to work with and correct employees rather than simply brooming them if they make a mistake or their performance is not up to par.

In short, we spend a lot of money hiring and training these "human resources" and prefer this approach rather than having me spend the lion's share of my time managing a revolving door.

However, having said all that, I agree that this particular situation is probably not salvageable.

Thanks.
  • I'd sit with the manager and talk thru the scenario, even to the point of scripting if you feel it's necessary. Maybe play devil's advocate, what if she says "this"? What would your response be? etc. Should take just 20-30 minutes and will pay off in the future.
  • I presume you are in business to make a profit. Or, are you primarily concerned with "salvaged underperforming and "borderline" employees? Your first post was to ask us for our advice. If you wish to put up with an employee who for one reason or another does not come to work why did you post the question? Did you think there is a magic formula that would, Presto! Make this employee into a model citizen? I am not a proponent of the revolving door, however, there are times when you have to say, "Let's stop beating the dead horse."

• To reiterate a point that hasn't been hit very hard here...
    Every day you allow this to continue will add to the frustration of the problem employee's coworkers. Trying to "salvage" someone is an admirable act, but at some point you have to remember that your responsibility is the health of the whole organism, not just the diseased part.
  • One additional word of advice that I don't think I saw in any of the postings and that is to make certain that you have DOCUMENTED any warnings you have or will give to her. I learned a long time ago (especially in situations where you expect a law suit) document, document, document. Good luck.
  • Being compassionate, and trying to salage border line employess is worth the effort, don't stop doing that. But you have made it clear, this is not a one time event, or even a border line employee. This is an employee that is doing tremendous damage to both the company's profitability, and other employee's morale. What if two of the others turned in notice today, think about that and what it would do to the company.
    If the manager can't manage that is a different issue that needs to, no must be addressed. But for now this employee needs to be sat down, today, and asked if she wants to continue employment and know what the expectations are. Hopefully she will resign but if not, terminate her the next time she is late or misses.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman