Notification to Employees of Threat

If an off-site claimant makes a threat against an employee and "anyone who stands in his way," what is the correct way to notify our entire staff to be aware of their surroundings and to observe our security process at all times (without scaring the daylights out of people)? Also, can/should we describe this individual to our staff without using his name? Thank you.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not sure what the relationship of this 'claimant' is to your staff. I'll assume you're a service agency or service delivery point and the claimant must come there to utilize the services or file some sort of claim. Here's my opinion: Notify the police of the threat. They will more than likely tell you they cannot any longer observe anything like a peace bond or such order but they need to know of your intention to call them IF he does return to the property. Send the claimant certified mail notifying him not to enter the property for any reason and tell him he will be arrested if he does, no ifs ands or butts (except HIS, in jail). Notify all supervisory personnel of the exact threat, the circumstances, his name and description and tell them if they see him on the property to immediately call the police and have him arrested and that they are not to recognize any formalities of tracking down HR or Security or anybody else. Give the receptionist and other front office staff the same instruction and authority to call the police on sight. Servicing his claim in my estimation, is secondary to providing a safe working environment in light of his threat. Don't ever take such a threat lightly. I have had this exact situation in the past year and this is the precise given me by an attorney.
  • I think that it would be appropriate to review the companies "Violence in the Workplace Policy" in a general meeting with employees. If you do not have one in place then I would recommend searching on Google (or whichever site your comfortable using) to take a look at what other groups are using and then developing your own.

Unfortunately pretty important in this day and age.

Good luck and stay low to the ground,
    Stuart
  • I respectfully suggest that you should do all this peripheral, ancillary activity after you take care of immediate business, which is what my suggestion addressed. If you hear a tornado coming and don't have a reaction plan in place, the last thing you need to do is sit down and research what your policy might oughta be next time.
  • I don't know Don. I have heard of a true story in which a bank robber was told that he could not rob the bank he was holding up unless he had an account there. Dismayed, the bank robber left the building.

Could you announce to the threat maker to postpone any potentially violent acts until a committee could be formed to create, propose, and institute a "Violence in the workplace policy"?

Its crazy enough to work.

Paul
  • I agree wholeheartly with Don D. and my suggestions were meant as follow up to the more urgent suggestions made by Don. My apologies for not being clearer in my post.

I do stand firm that prep is important however... if I prepare for the Tornado than I stand a much better chance of not being blown away by it. :-?