Attendance Problem

I have an interesting problem - we have a "flextime" policy in place for our employees which allows an employee to flex once a week for no reason as long as the employee has prior supervisor approval (i.e., they can come in early, leave during their shift, or come in late as long as they have their 8 hours in at the end of the day). We also allow an employee to flex more often for personal reasons as long as the supervisor approves but we do reserve the right to ask for verification of the reason(s) for the additional flextime.

Anyway we currently have an employee who has requested to switch to third shift but we have denied his request for several reasons. One of the reasons he has asked for this transfer is to attend the Christmas Progams for his children. We told him that we would "work with him" to allow him to attend these programs as long as he utilizes the flextime. Here is where the problem comes in -

For the past two days he has worked 4 hours on second shift, left and returned on third shift to finish his shift. Statements he has made to other employees is that he is going to work when he wants without regard to the needs of the company. Last night he was told that he needed to bring proof verifying his need to flex last night but he didn't return with anything. He has already stated that he will be "flexing" again tonight for another program (he only has two children and this will be his third program).

Any thoughts on what can be done to nip this problem?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Tellin him that your company policy is a two way street - you allow limited flexing because that is all your business will allow. Anything more than that hurts the business. Then tell him that you expect him to flex in the way the company policy allows - no more. Then, if he doesn't comply it becomes a performance issue, ultimately leading to his flexing somewhere else if he doesn't comply.
  • I see it more as insubordination than performance. The employee requested third shift and that request was denied. So 1/2 of third shift is ok???
  • Could be on the way to insubordination, but is still a performance issue. If we consider it insubordination the proper response is to tell the person that he can be fired for insubordination if he insists on the action that he has stated that he will take. It isn't really insubordination until he actually violates the policy or supervisor instructions.
  • I agree with previous comments, sit him down, explain again, with a witness give him notice of the policy, and it's requirements, and explain that if he believes that he can come and go as he pleases that it is insubordination, which is a terminable offense........first time. He is on notice. Point out while the change in shift was not approved, you did say you would work with him. If he wants to continue to work for you he better straighten out his attitude pronto.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman