How would you handle?

Our company currently has set holidays. These are determined each year. We have an employee who is currently upset about how holidays are paid. Apparently he was not scheduled to work on 11/28, 11/29 (which were paid holidays for our company). His complaint is...I was already scheduled not to work those days so I really didn't get the benefit of the holiday (even though he was paid 8 hrs for each day). He is now asking if he could have 2 days to take later on.

I somewhat understand his concern, but he is getting paid for those days, what's the big deal.

We are currently considering paying the employee for the holiday time (on the day it fell on) but letting the employee take a day WITHOUT pay within 30 days of the holiday. This will ensure the employee received the benefit of the holiday, but they would have to realize the company already paid them and it's a day without pay. I'm not sure if this is really benefiting the employee.

If anyone has some good advice or a solution to my problem, I would greatly appreciate your input.

HR in Texas!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-09-02 AT 02:46PM (CST)[/font][p]The luck of the draw has taken place. The chips have fallen where they may. You cannot please all of the people all of the time. What goes around comes around (perhaps). H.R. cannot be all things to all people, nor can company policies. Pay him for the days he works. Plus, you paid him for two days he did not work (28029). If he is not scheduled to work on a holiday, he gets the day off with pay. Methinks he doth protest too much. A bit more and show him the door.
  • I agree with Don - the employee is getting paid for two days off regardless of when they fell. The fact that he was already scheduled off does not make any difference. I would NOT grant him additional days off and would pay him in accordance with company policy.
  • I agree with Don and LindaS. I think that ee should count his/her lucky stars. The ee does not have a point. The point is that he/she did benefit from being off with pay.

Some times you just can't win.
  • Our policy follows that of our owner company, a hospital. If an employee is regularly scheduled to work on a holiday, they get holiday pay (and all that goes with it). If not, tough. Our employees all understand this, and though it is not our most popular policy, no one complains.

This should be in your own policy already. If so, point it out to the employee. If not, why? You need to get it in there ASAP.

Good luck!
  • I agree with the above HOWEVER, here, if the holiday falls on your regularly scheduled day off, you earn a "holiday saved" which, for all intent and purposes, converts to a vacation day to be used at a later date. Don't agree with it, but I didn't write the book :)