Vision related question

I've never run into this issue and need some help.

We have a couple of ee's with obvious vision related problems (blind as a bat comes to mind x;-))and their job requires that they be able to visually inspect parts (we're a manufacturing facility). Our job description states "Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus."

Question: can we do a basic vision test of these people in house? and if they prove to be visually challenged require them to take steps to improve the situation (assuming it is correctable and not and ADA issue, I know that's a whole different issue)?

Your thoughts?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would assume you can do a vision test only if you do it on everyone who does that particular job. However, I would suggest that if you do it in house and the ee "flunks" then, at your expense, you send them to an optometrist or opthalmologist.
  • Is it your intent just to test these two indivudals or do you want to give a post-offer vision test to any applicant for the job.

If the former, have you discussed the work problems with the employees? What explanations are they providing?

What do you mean by "obvious" vision problems? "Blind as a bat" isn't a proper standard to require a specifc medical examination for eye sight once th employee has started the job.
  • It is our intent to check the vision of all ee's within the (assembly)department as they are all required to do visual inspection as part of their essential job function. We will not be singling out individuals.

Our plan is to use the Jaeger vision test card at J1 and to direct anyone with obvious problems to visit a company sponsered opthalmologist for further testing.

Sorry for the levity, serious bunch today.