Recognition Programs

Anyone have any economical, yet effective ideas regarding employee recognition. All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What kind of recognition are you looking to give, Joe? Examples would include service/tenure oriented, on-the-spot "attaboys", specific goal achievement rewards, etc.
  • I am looking for ideas to support recognition of exceptional performance and/or outstanding customer service.
  • You might ask employees what ideas they have. Depends somewhat on particulars of your company. Parking spaces in the close, paved lots are a big deal here..most lots are remote and unpaved.
  • I have a "Pat on the Back" Program that has worked well several places. It gives immediate recognition for extra effort and produces a form that goes into the employee's file, so there is a permanent record of the employee's effort in his/her personnel file. One place we put it in gave the employees the ability to redeem three "Pats on the Back" for a $25.00 bonus. Several employees wouldn't surrender the forms for the cash preferring to keep the written Pats on the Back, despite the fact that there were copies in their personnel files. You can add the small bonus or not. I'll send you the two memos we used to launch the program as well as a copy of the form if you will e-mail me.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • You might check out "1001 Ways to Reward Employees" by Bob Nelson (Workman Publishing).

Also consider "Managing to Have Fun" by Matt Weinstein (Simon & Schuster). Reward programs can be tricky and quickly lose their motivating power. However, a fun workplace that people enjoy being part of is something that people really appreciate.

Paul
  • Recognition programs need to recognize that the world is changing and that recognition for team work should be more important than for some of the misguided awards for individual effort such as employee of the month where if you are there long enough you end up getting if only by default.Regards from Dallas, Mike Maslanka