It's not what you know...

Opinions please:

We have a new supervisory position that we're looking to fill. Administration has someone in mind that would be "great." IMO, interviewing and then possibly hiring this person would solidify the philosophy, "It's not what you know, it's who you know." x:-( However, why go through the all the motions of advertising, screening, interviewing, etc. when you already have someone in mind?

Why am I feeling something is wrong with this picture? :-S

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There is a lot wrong with the picture, but unfortunately some times it's just the way it goes. In cases like this I think the motions are gone through to try and evidence that it didn't occur exactly the way it did.. often everyone knows it and it is detrimental to morale.
  • I've more than once seen it work out that much more impressive candidates surfaced through the procedure and the 'preferred candidate' just sort of melted away and he didn't get the job. You can only do what you can do. And it may work this way for you.
  • Let us not forget that it is "NETWORKING" that lands most great positions & employees. NETWORKING is the end result of in which you have concerns. Therefore, don't look down on the process, welcome it, and do not spend the resources to advertise, and get into legal trouble when your company does not select someone from that effort. This is especially true if the candidate is an inside candidate, a current employee should always be considered for all new positions before you take on a new ee. Hope this helps, Pork
  • there has been a few times when we thought we had the perfect candidate, but it ended up that when we got resumes from people we never expected and they were better candidates. I know that it is a pain in the behind sometimes, but it is usually worth it to go through all the motions.