New federal labor law?

My office admin. has heard there is a new federal labor law with regard to IT managers and their exempt status. Has anyone else heard this news recently?
Thanks!

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Rachel: Haven't heard anything new on this, but, I'm looking at a 1999 article subject: Professional Exemptions - Data Processing Personnel. It says, "Computer sysems analysts, programmers, software engineers and workers in similar computer-related jobs are exempt if they meet the salary and duties requirements of either administrative, executive or professional exemptions. These employees are also exempt if they devote most of their work time to: The application of systems analysis techniques and procedures to determine hardware and software specs; The design of computer systems based on user specs; and/or The creation or modification of computer programs based on system design specs or related to machine operating systems. In addition, employees who perform these duties and who are paid on an hourly basis are exempt if they receive wages of at least $27.63 per hour. EMPLOYEES WHO OPERATE COMPUTERS OR WHO ARE ENGAGED IN THE MFG, REPAIR OR MAINTENANCE OF HARDWARE DO NOT QUALIFY AS EXEMPT AND REMAIN ELIGIBLE FOR OVERTIME UNDER FLSA." I don't know if this would remotely be of help to you, but wanted to offer it. As you know, calling them "IT Managers" won't do much (any) good without them meeting the job duties tests.