Policies and required posting

I am new to HR and cannot find this info anywhere. Are there certain policies that we are required to post so that all employees can see them? Our policies are usually handed out as they are approved, and everyone reads them and intials them verifying that they have been read. The policies are filed and never seen again. It is hard to remember what each policy contains if you have only seen it once.

I know it would be good to have policies where everyone can see them, but are there any that are required to be posted where they can be viewed anytime? And if so, what agency requires it?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes.

There is a 5 in one federal employment law poster that contains most (if not all) of the federal things that need to be posted in the work area. You may be able to get one of this off of the department of labor websites (I'm not sure).

Most states also have additional posting requirements about payday and worker's comp rights. Again, these might be available on the internet (try looking at your state's employment commission).

Good Luck!!
  • in the event that you are referring to your company specific policies; the only "required" posting of a company-specific policy that I am aware of is if you are a government contractor; then you need to post your AA policy statement where employees can see it.

Personally, I have always posted (on the bulletin boards where I put govt posters) (1) the company's EEO policy (2) safety policy (i.e. reporting workplace accidents, injuries, illnesses). Not required, I just found these two were best posted as reminders.
  • For the Federal Posters, go to [url]www.dol.gov[/url]

Go to the search A to Z

Under P you will find a Poster Advisor.

Follow the instructions and answer the questions. The result will be the posters that you must post under federal law. You can then print the posters. (make sure that you note the caveats in the advisor (certain types of businesses, which are noted, may need additional posters).

Then check with your state wage and hour agency, as there are probably some more that you need for your state.

Good Luck!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-19-02 AT 03:39PM (CST)[/font][p]For a reasonably priced source of professionally printed and laminated posters that include your state-specific ones, you might also want to visit [url]www.gneil.com[/url] or call 800-999-9111. They will provide only what you request and will keep you updated should your state's requirements change.

edit: But, if you're talking about company specific policies, you should either provide each employee with a policy handbook or opt to present a master copy to each department and have it available for inspection by the department members. It is essential that you keep, though, a control log of who signed for them and their locations and also keep tight control over issuing updates and revisions. We walk those around ourselves in HR and insert the revisions and remove the obsolete material ourselves, rather than counting on others to do it.