Time Sheet Tampering

In the State of Maryland, after a time sheet has been signed by the employee and submitted to their supervisor, can the supervisor then change the employee's time sheet in any way (decreasing hours, for instance) without the knowledge or consent of the employee?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I can't think of any state where this would be permissible.
  • What if it is not tampering, but correcting ie ee made mistake and supervisor did not catch it til later?
  • I would then have the employee re-sign the time sheet. Otherwise, it looks like you are going behind the employee and making modifications after the employee signed off on it. Probably would not be a problem unless the employee took issue with you making changes to his time sheet and complained to the DOL.
  • No matter who changes a timecard, either by supervisors or ee, my company requires that the ee sign off on a new timesheet. Once the change is made, a new timesheet is printed signed off on and returned to myself to be filed in conjunction with the incorrect timesheet.
  • We had a strange phenomenon happening here. Our employees were having total recall of time off that had happened 3 months earlier, claiming it was "mistakenly" recorded as vacation time on their approved/signed time card. The employees claimed that they were actually at work and the time shouldn't have been recorded as vacation. To top it off, several department managers were submitting revised time cards to HR, changing the original, approved, and paid vaction time as never having happened. We instituted a "no time card change after 2 weeks" policy that has "improved" both employee and managers memory. Amazing isn't it..............
  • Correcting a timecard is not tampering. When I have reviewed timecards occassionally I will find one that they have added up the daily hours correctly, but when the total hours was written down, a mathmatical error was made.
    I put the correct time, cross out the incorrect time and initial it. I have found it helps if you notify the employee, they don't mind but if they saw 47 hours on the bottom of their time sheet, they always seem to know if they were shorted.

my $0.02.
  • legally, the employer has to pay for all hours worked. But that does not mean that the supervisor cannot correct, if the employee listed the wrong amount of hours. But if the supervisors goal is to short hours (so the employee will not get paid for all hours worked), that is wrong in every state.