Using Part of SS# as Password

We have a new timekeeping program, and our IT department wants to use the employees' last 4 numbers of their SS# as their password. Can anyone foresee a problem with this?
Thanks!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We use the last four numbers of the SSN in our payroll and time keeping system and we've never had any problems with it. Sometimes if there are two people with the same four numbers, we have to assign a number.

You could call the Social Security Administration and see if they know of any problems that have occured because of using part of the social security number as an ID number.
  • I agree that it may never be a problem; but, it seems to me that the only reason to have a password is to ensure security and if IT assigns a password that is discoverable (and SSNs are), then you have security issues. If no negative consequence comes from employees discovering each others' passwords, then why have them? I can see assigning those initially but allowing the employee to change it at will with IT having access to them all.
  • I concur with Don's assessment and would discourage the use of SSN #'s for payroll. They are too easy to access and leads to the potential for abuse and breach of your system. You would be surprised how many IT reports MUST have SSN identifier info and this could be a potential problem unless IT sterilizes these fields on those reports. I just wouldn't want to go there unless there were compelling reasons. Many P/R systems permit random digit numbers to be assigned and they ensure a little more security than the SSN concept. Give it some thought!
  • When we installed an in-house payroll, Accounting also thought to use the last 4 digits of the employee's SS#. ONE employee refused to allow us to use his number. Being a union shop, ALL of the rest of the employees climbed onto the bandwagon. Why? Because they could.

I then arranged all the employees in hire date order and issued a 4 digit number starting with the most senior i.e. 1000, next 1001, etc. Worked well because a supervisor just had to look at an employee's badge/time card number to know who had more seniority for OT, vacations, etc.
  • We also use this system "I then arranged all the employees in hire date order and issued a 4 digit number starting with the most senior i.e. 1000, next 1001, etc. Worked well because a supervisor just had to look at an employee's badge/time card number to know who had more seniority for OT, vacations, etc." and it has been working well for us for the reasons stated above.

SA

• Thanks for your insight. Since we're a union facility, I can empathize with ritaanz. That's primarily the reason I was compelled to ask!