Job Description for vendor relations and contract management?

Anyone have a job description they'd be willing to share for a position that encompasses vendor relations and contract management as it's main duties? These are the only "buzz words" I've been given and so far I haven't found much out there. Thanks!!!
Cinderella

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That's a bit vague. I realize it's all you have, but can't imagine developing a useful job description given only that information. Vendor relations might typically be a junior person in the Purchasing Department. Contract Management is anybody's guess.
  • Yeah I know, welcome to my world. 8-| It's for the info technology department if that helps. I'm just trying to find blurbs about it so I could show the manager examples. I found a wee bit on yahoo's career site but SHRM doesn't have much (even in the member's area). Anyone else?
    Cinderella
  • Also not quite sure where this is going.. perhaps it is like a liasion position? "Serves as liasion between IT Manager, sub-contractors and City personnel in the acquisition and installation of all communication or system-related equipment."? If this is the kind of position would also think communication skills, followup with vendors, ability work professionally and effectively with others might be important as well as working with tech. support? I am finding IT job descriptions very difficult to write, so wish you luck.
  • Try Strategic Sourcing titles under Purchasing. Strategic Sourcing Analyst or Manager for example: The Institute for Supply Management (previously National Association of Purchasing Managers) might be a useful resource for job descriptions.
  • I recommend you stand up for HR professionals everywhere and politely tell the IT manager that he/she is approaching the development of a job description backwards. Tell him/her that for Human Resources to develop a useful job description requires the understanding and review of a set of duties, a list of essential functions and some good assumptions as to core responsibilities. You also would be able to do a better job of presenting a draft description if the manager would provide you with things like; relative importance of duties and consequence of error, reporting chain of command and level of responsibility and authority. If you have most of these, you may be in a position to get a good start on a proper draft. Without any of this and having only the 'buzz words' you've been given, puts you behind the eight ball and is wasting your time as an HR professional. If he/she looks at you like a Doe in the headlights, give him/her a fill in the blanks form with spaces for position summary, essential functions (1,2,3,4,5), reports to, supervises whom, education, experience and skills required. That'll put the monkey on the back where it belongs and give you a good starting point. x:-)
  • He's a Director, actually...and I'm an hourly HR Assistant, soooooooo you know. I'll leave the explaining about HR functions to him to MY good ole' HR Manager! :)I agree with you though Don, he is going about it backwards.
    Thanks everyone!
    Cinderella